free website stats program brake fluid leak on wg | Harley Davidson Forums

brake fluid leak on wg

00BUCKSHOT

after changing brake lines back and forth i got a leak.its seeping around the threads on the bleed valve.has anyone else ever ran into this problem?i talked with glider he recomends thread sellant and i agree with him so tomorow i'm gonna stop and get a new bleed valve and some white pipe dope hopefully this will fix me up

yea thats what i was thinking hobbit ribbon pipe dope
its just barley seeping
i cleaned it went for a 30mile ride or so,checked and its just alittle wett around the threads prob take a year to leak enough to hurt anything but it still bugs me

guess i'm gonna have to repeat the whole brake bleeding process when i change the nipple lol yeehaw i can't wait!

bad thing is/this is all just to get me by for a week or so!the guy who sold me the handel bar kit sent the wrong risers and brake line he is supposed to ship the right stuff tomorrow lol guess next weekend i'll be right back at it lol might just wait till next weekend to install the new bleed nipple/i think it will be ok till then.whatca think hobbit?

just got back from a short ride (40 miles) guess what its not wett around the threads now?i dono i'll still change the nipple this weekend anyway
thanks for all the help hobbit your one kool englishmen!

The big problem with this situation is if fluid can get out air can get in as air molecules are smaller you could be sucking air in every time you release the brake
air will compress brake becomes spongy and ineffective
so take care and get it fixed asap

Brian

As long as you are replacing the bleeder you may as well replace them with speed bleeders as Glider suggested in another post

sbani.gif

R-SPEED - Russell Speed Bleeders

One way check valve prevents intake of air bubbles, especially if you put clear tube of clean brake fluid into a bottle at the business end of them. I would use them for the rear especially, because it is so inconvenient to go back and forth to wrench the bleeder while holding the brake pedal down (hope you took Yoga lessons or had a "partner" help you without 'em).

Back