free website stats program Brake Bleeding | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake Bleeding

glider.

BOT Machine
Here's a simple way to bleed brakes. It's a fitting installed in a spare cover for the type of cylinder you have. These should be available at the dealers for little or nothing as a take off part. The air fitting replaces the sight glass in the cover.

I installed an air line quick disconnect fitting with epoxy on the threads to seal it. The fitting ends up being just a slight bit larger than the hole in the cap so it threads itself into the soft metal of the cap nicely. The epoxy seals the joint as well as the threads as long as you don't apply too much.

A pressure regulator is necessary because you don't want to use more than about a pound of air otherwise you can damage parts and possibly end up getting a bath in brake fluid.

Remember to bleed off the air before removing the cap when you are finished.

Air is applied after topping off brake fluid and fastening this cap on to the cylinder. From there you bleed the brakes using the bleeder on the caliper. Simple enough and effective too.

More threads on brake bleeding...

Bleeding Brakes - Harley Davidson Community

Reverse Brake Bleeding. - Harley Davidson Community

Brake Bleeding Tips - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add some information that others can benefit from:
Brake Bleeding--I used a MityVac kit from Harbor Freight, cost about $35.00 dollars. I used the instruction included with the pump.

Two bottles of DOT4 (2007 FLHRC), about $9.00 dollars a piece.

Started with front right, then front left. Finished up with the rear.

About as simple and pain free as any maintenance I have done besides checking air pressure in the tires.

Remember brake fluid last one year. After you open it--one week. Then throw it away.

This is an annual recommended service.

Back