free website stats program Bracket Tab WARNING! | Harley Davidson Forums

Bracket Tab WARNING!

craig Lee

Just as a reminder....

Check all "nuts and bolts" periodically! Around 1800 miles after my 20,000 mile service on my 08 Street Glide, Mz Bling (on her 1200 Custom Sporty) and I were coming home from a great ride in Malibu. The freeway came to a halt so we got off on side roads and suddenly a little klunk and a LOUD Squeal came from my primary side. Everything seemed fine but I did find the item pictured below behind the bike about 2 feet. Checked the belt and had a perfect groove worn down the middle. Got it to the dealer and confirmed that it was the bracket tab from the manifold which the nut had obviously vibrated loose. The bracket broke and lodged itself temporarily to chew up the belt. A warranty issue and fixed with a new belt.
Blessed that we weren't 80+ on the freeway when it happened.

Attachments

• bracket-tab-4.jpg
    bracket-tab-4.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 57
  • bracket-tab-2.jpg
    bracket-tab-2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 50
  • bracket-tab-3.jpg
    bracket-tab-3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 45
Good thing it didnt lock everything up ..Bracket from the manifold? the intake or exhust or what ?

Good thing it didnt lock everything up ..Bracket from the manifold? the intake or exhust or what ?

...sorry about that!
Bracket tab that is hooked onto the TORCA Clamp and then bolted on the exhaust support bracket. You can see it clearly from the right side of the bike behind the rear cylinder. #7 In the Manual Pic below:

Attachments

• manual.jpg
    manual.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Craig, I feel your pain, and quite honestly wished there was a way to anticipate trouble from obscure loose hardware. Sometimes on these vibrating Harley machines, things loosen up and it is really irritating when a 2 bit part in an obscure place can cause so much damage. Kenny Roberts lost a final GP Race against Freddie Spencer at Laguna Seca when a 10 cent snap ring loosened up in his tranny so he could not shift...on essentially a million dollar bike.

My first post when I came to HDT was regarding a loose nut at the very bottom of the smog cannister, rear master cylinder combo bracket on my Sporty...(MZ Bling will appreciate it if you care to look under her bike at what I am talking about). It is one of two bolts which secure the bracket and affixes ground strap from the swingarm to the frame, and wouldn't you know it, it did not fall out because the bolt was held on by the ground strap, trapping the nut between the bracket and the bolt. Ended up having to buy the $60 Service Manual to even find out what it took to remove and just get it fastened back down...DON'T ASK...let's just say some very choice words crossed my lips that would have gotten me banned here.

Craig, I feel your pain, and quite honestly wished there was a way to anticipate trouble from obscure loose hardware. Sometimes on these vibrating Harley machines, things loosen up and it is really irritating when a 2 bit part in an obscure place can cause so much damage. Kenny Roberts lost a final GP Race against Freddie Spencer at Laguna Seca when a 10 cent snap ring loosened up in his tranny so he could not shift...on essentially a million dollar bike.

My first post when I came to HDT was regarding a loose nut at the very bottom of the smog cannister, rear master cylinder combo bracket on my Sporty...(MZ Bling will appreciate it if you care to look under her bike at what I am talking about). It is one of two bolts which secure the bracket and affixes ground strap from the swingarm to the frame, and wouldn't you know it, it did not fall out because the bolt was held on by the ground strap, trapping the nut between the bracket and the bolt. Ended up having to buy the $60 Service Manual to even find out what it took to remove and just get it fastened back down...DON'T ASK...let's just say some very choice words crossed my lips that would have gotten me banned here.

Thank's Bro! I feel your pain too. Hope to catch you around town some time...

I thought that was what it looking like im surprised it came out of there i had a bear of a time getting the clamp loose and getting that free when i changed my exhust ..

Yes, but the real question is once it was put back on was Loctite used, besides the fact that exhaust system mod is one of the 1st things to be done on a new HD...!

Back