free website stats program Bought new Deluxe looking to trade in | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bought new Deluxe looking to trade in

Need some help. I just got 2010 Softail deluxe and now thinking a Street Glide may have been the better choice. I will be taking 5-10 500+ mile trips a year. Any softail or street glide riders out there that want to give thier opionion?

Thanks

How many miles have you got on the Deluxe? The reason I ask is that it's hard to make that kind of decision without putting some miles on. Many people tour extensively on softail frames. It's not an issue.

You also need to be prepared for a soaking on trade in. The used market is flooded, and you're going to take a substantial hit.

If $$$ is no problem, then the touring platform is the way to go. Go rent one and then decide.

my ol lady had an 06 delux ,beautiful bike , i rode it many times and its a nice ride. but i bought a used road king and man let me tell you lol theres a reason they'r called touring bikes ;-) take one for a spin
Posted via Mobile Device

I have about 500 miles on it. I am taking it from Chicago to St Louis this weekend so I will have a better idea of how it feels on longer trips.

I have a Heritage and can ride comfortably 350 a day 2 up. The wife doesn't complain. We could do more but like to take our time. Most of that is at 60 or so just cruzin off interstate.

Need some help. I just got 2010 Softail deluxe and now thinking a Street Glide may have been the better choice. I will be taking 5-10 500+ mile trips a year. Any softail or street glide riders out there that want to give thier opionion?

Thanks

The Softail Deluxe is one beautiful motorcycle I'd be more than proud to have in my garage or under me cruising down the highway. I almost chose one over my 08 Road King (this is my first HD). My touring bike I know rides smoother, brakes better (Brembo w/ABS), offers more bells and whistles and can carry more gear than a Softail series bike.

I agree to take your current ride on a trip and judge for yourself if this model fullfills your riding needs and wants. Only you can answer that. Unless you have deep pockets don't be alarmed if you try to trade and the Stealer offers you well, not exactly what you were thinking your Softail Deluxe was worth.

And yes, Streetglides are the best looking touring models with an attitude!

Put 1000 miles on my Deluxe over the weekend, and loved every mile. This bike will be staying w me for many years. New pipes, and new handle bars are the next upgrades. :bigsmiley24:

Put 1000 miles on my Deluxe over the weekend, and loved every mile. This bike will be staying w me for many years. New pipes, and new handle bars are the next upgrades. :bigsmiley24:

Congratulations on giving the Deluxe a chance and deciding to keep it. Nothing worse, relatively speaking, then getting a new bike and then having buyer's remorse and going through "shouda", "woulda", "coulda." Enjoy the Deluxe.

Well, I guess that settles that! I'm a huge Street Glide fan but, as mentioned, you were going to take an enormous hit trading/selling your current bike for any touring model. You did a smart thing financially hanging on to your bike and giving it a chance on some long trips.

Now that you've decided to keep it and use it for some touring, I would definitely concentrate on comfort items (seat, bars, backrest, shield, highway pegs) before throwing money at pipes and such. Get it where you can ride it whenever you want as long as you want and you'll have plenty of time for bling and Stage 1 stuff.

Thanks for that advise and ill take it. I put a new seat on as im 6'3" and need to be further back, bought the detachable sheild. The highway peds and bars will be next. Can you explain a little on what is meant by "Stage 1"?

Back