Bought a used bike from dealer...warranty?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by leo13, Apr 27, 2009.

1. leo13

leo13 Member

I was looking at Road Glides, but ended up going with an '08 Electra Glide Classic instead :bigsmiley16:. 11K miles, full Stage 1, chrome luggage and saddlebag rails, Gold Pearl/Pewter. It's a beauty, and the price was very good.

It is at a dealer, and of course they are pushing the extended warranty. I'm not sure what to do about that, and a thread search didn't help. Is there a thread that discussed it that SEARCH couldn't find?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

The 08 had a 2 year warranty from the date of service. If you are handy working on the bike, then pass on it, if not it's a good option if you can go for the extra cash. Make sure it is a HD warranty and not aftermarket and find out the particulars on the deductibles and what it covers. All warranties are not the same. I bought the warranty on mine because of the new engine and trans.

3. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

I purchased the extended warranty on mine,partially on the advise of others in this forum when I asked this same question,partially because I figure if or when I do sell it should bring me a higher dollar.

4. leo13

leo13 Member

I can do my own wrenching within reason. It is a Harley warranty, including wheels and tires. The 4 year is appx. $1.7K. Doesn't this really mean 2 more years after the current 2 year warranty is done? And I don't have to buy right now, correct? I can buy anytime before the warranty expires?

BTW, I could have gotten an Ultra with an additonal 5,000 miles for $1,500 more but liked this color combination better and both have ABS. I'll add lowers and rear speakers myself. I really don't see the need for intercom (we'll go chatterbox to speak with other riders), the CB probably would have been nice though but cell phones will work for emergencies :33:

I pick up the bike on Saturday.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

$1700 is too much for a 2yrs. extended, check with other dealers ,I only paid that for the five year extended (total 7yrs.) with tire and wheel coverage.

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

7. leo13

leo13 Member

Oops, I meant $1.17 (still early out here). Thanks for the link glider.

8. Took42

Took42 Member

I agree with with Steve07. Check around with other dealers and make sure you know exactly what is covered..

9. leo13

leo13 Member

My real hesitation on the warranty is that I won't be doing any long distance riding for 3 years (retirement). That's about when the warranty expires (assuming I get the 4 year). Up until then I'll only be doing around 3,000 miles a year.