free website stats program Both Plugs fouled...02 Road King | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Both Plugs fouled...02 Road King

I did. I even tried it with the kill switch off just to see. Your right...no fuel pump codes on that code list. What a drag. If no codes come up...then it must be the fuel pump? I dunno. But a fuel pump problem would most likely not be pushing enough gas through the line but why would both of my plugs be black? That's not a lack of fuel. Bike barely runs. So now maybe a weak spark? But some kind of code should come up if it's an electrical problem.
This is like sitting on a see-saw with no one on the other side.
Thank You!!!!!!!!

You could put some gas in a spray bottle to squirt in the throat of the throttle body. If it will stay running,smoothly, that way the yes it could be in the pump section. You can also disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail on the induction module. I think there is a tab to compress, maybe both sides, to release the tube. Then turn on the key, with the run kill in run. You should see a good flow out of the fuel line. Use a catch bowl. I f little flow it could be the fuel filter or pressure regulator. Both are in the tank. A service manual would help a lot.
tourbox

Today I'm trying to get to any plugs I can find (throttle body...under console) pull them apart...check clean ect. I will try unplugging the fuel line like you said. I have had the fuel pump out in the past...replaced the fuel line but I'm trying to check all I can before pulling the pump out, and that thing is one stupid contraption. I do have a service manual.
I do appreciate your help man!!!!!
Thank you!!!!!

Black sooty plugs tells me too much fuel but if you do as tourbox suggested you'll find out if it's getting gas. In any event you may want to change plugs.
I'm leaning towards something else is causing your grief.

I know it's getting gas cause I can barely get it started and then it barely runs. Workin the throttle it spits...
revs up for half a second..spits...repeats it all..and then konks out. Won't idle. Then it won't start...gotta wait awhile.
Being I can't get any codes out of it, then it would mean it's not an electrical problem??? I dunno.

Sounds like the kind of thing that would happen with bad fuel

Brian

You might want to go ahead and change your plugs before you go too far as Jeff and tour box I think it was mentioned.
Back about 5 years ago, a buddy of mine had basically the same problem as you're describing. His is a carbeurated EVO. His plugs were black and sooty too. He was convinced he had a vacuum leak at the intake because he had installed a S&S Super "E" carb on it a few days before it started acting up. He said he pulled that carb and intake off a dozen times before he decided to go ahead and replace the plugs. When he did, it ran fine. Never had that problem again.

Check your coil for a good hot spark. Here's how to bench test your coil.
Your issue does not sound fuel related to me. JMHO.

If you want to "bench" test a coil, remove wires, attach a hot 12 volt to the battery (batt, +, etc.) terminal. Then attach a wire to the ignition (ign) terminal and touch ground and remove. Should throw a spark from the high tension lead with each application of 12v and removal. The ground wire basically imitates the function of the ignition points/module. If the high tension lead terminal is gapped a reasonable amount from the engine, there should be a bright white spark. Weak or orange spark indicates (low voltage...or) bad coil output.

I couldn't get fuel to drain after pulling off line on bottom of tank so I leaned bike to rt. side and siphoned fuel out as much as I could. I agree about new plugs but two plugs going bad at the same time is real strange. I have a couple old spare plugs to try until I get to town to buy new plugs. Fuel tank had maybe 1/8 tank of gas, but seems when it was almost filled a few weeks ago, IF it was bad gas, the bike should of acted up much earlier than this...I would think? I dunno.
Thank you again!!!!!

Check your coil for a good hot spark. Here's how to bench test your coil.
Your issue does not sound fuel related to me. JMHO.

If you want to "bench" test a coil, remove wires, attach a hot 12 volt to the battery (batt, +, etc.) terminal. Then attach a wire to the ignition (ign) terminal and touch ground and remove. Should throw a spark from the high tension lead with each application of 12v and removal. The ground wire basically imitates the function of the ignition points/module. If the high tension lead terminal is gapped a reasonable amount from the engine, there should be a bright white spark. Weak or orange spark indicates (low voltage...or) bad coil output.

OK Jack...I'll try to accomplish that tomorrow. Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you removed the line at the tank with the quick disconnect it will not drain gas out. The unit in the tank is also a check valve. Had you disconnected the other end at the fuel rail, on the induction module then turn the key on as, as in starting, the the pump will pump it out for 3 seconds. then shut off.
1/8 tank of gas, but seems when it was almost filled a few weeks ago, IF it was bad gas, the bike should of acted up much earlier than this...I would think?
As far as that goes the pick up for the pump is slightly higher than the hose you disconnected. Not by much though. But your theory could be very well correct.
tourbox

Back