free website stats program Boot shining | Harley Davidson Forums

Boot shining

English Mike

I have just bought a pair of Milwaukee Motorcycle boots engineer style with chisel toes. I would like to see if I could get a black mirror shine on them. Any tips from anyone who has managed it?

Thanks

Mike

Spit shine them like we use to do in the army Ride Safe Doug

Someone said this morning that there used to be a trick with a hot teaspoon and polish, I think I may have heard of this in the dim and distant past but have no idea how it works, any thoughts? And spit I assume would be real spit or just spraying water on the polish?

Mike

O.K. I have to weigh in on this subject. Go to "Obenauf's" website. Buy the Heavy Duty LP and Leather Oil. LP for the boots, the oil for leathers and bike seat, bags etc. This product is the best in the world and will keep your gear protected for years and years if kept up. Putting the wrong products on leather will lead to destruction prematurely.:D :D

Hey Mike, Hi-tek here, just to add on to a little of what DarkKnight was saying, we used to do it the same way and another little trick is to start off with a heavy-once over-base coat of polish;next take a lighter and hold about an inch to inch and a half away from the leather surface of the boot and just let the heat from the flame of the lighter melt the polish( don't hold it so close to the leather that you burn it or dry it out ) but close enough that you'll be able to actually see the polish film fade into the leather as you work your way all around the boot. This gets the polish down deep into the pores of the leather and will give you a good "base' to start putting your final polish job on top of. After burning in, then start back to the way DarkKnight was telling you about, a little water in the can lid and some polish on your rag covered fingers and start working it and and wetting;dipping in polish;rubbing in circular motion;dip in water;dip in polish;more circular rubbing; until it starts bringing surface to the shine you're looking for.Lota work, but once there, it'll shine it's hine off and last a while. Also, after all that hard work, ya might wanta put some ol hunting/hiking socks over em to protect the shine. "Good Luck'', Hi-Tek rednek :42:

Last edited:
From 25 years experience in the Marine Corps doing the boot shining routine daily - a final tip. After filling in all the pores of the leather, doing as the others have described, place 5 drops of rubbing alcohol in the water that you are using in the lid of the shoe polish. Keep the rag wrapped around your first two fingers and dip into the water and lightly rub in a circular motion. Before long you will have mirrors on your boots. They will look great and will not crack because you have filled in all the pores prior.

I usually start with an ice cube in the lid of the polish. By the time I've got my boots clean and put the first layer of polish on, some of the ice has melted, leaving really cold water. The cold water causes the polish to harden some, making the buffing alittle easier.

Back