free website stats program boom audio system | Harley Davidson Forums

boom audio system

looz98

i've noticed lately that when i increase my volume especially when playn cd's or ipod on my system my unit starts to clip, i've had the radio changed thinkn it was faulty, but still clips at high volume.........never used to have this problem .......i have a four speaker boom system with amp installed...everything was installed as per installation required..any ideas??

I'm interested in thoughts as well. I have the same issues, but with a Hogtunes amp and speakers. Mine is an 08 with just 2 speakers. The amo is 2 yrs old and the speakers are 5. It doesn't seem to start until I've ridden a few miles and things start to heat up. I can't seem to get it to clip when sitting in the garage, but when it does clip it does it on FM, XM, and Aux inputs.

Usually clipping is caused by too much gain on the input side of the amp. Try turning down the gain by a -db or two and that should help...that is providing the amps you guys have has an external pot to make this adjustment. My Ipod can only be up to about 80% volume or it will cause clipping through the aux input. It's a matter of limiting the signal output of the devices that feed the amp it's signal it needs to boost, if that makes sense. Too much output will negatively affect the input sensitivity of the amplifier. This may decrease the overall max volume of your system, but I doubt you guys play your music fully cranked at all times. At that point I would imagine the speakers would begin to distort anyway no matter who's brand and how much peak watts they're rated for.

I tried that and it reduced it some. The problem is this just started a couple of weeks ago, only occurs when the bike is in motion, but not all the time. I've checked all the connections to make sure they are pushed together well, and checked the speakers to verify no holes or tears in the cones.

Check your voltage when the problem starts. Pull over and check voltage at battery. Also check the power wire to the amp and its connections on both ends. If the amp has a bad conn. it will heat it and the connection up making it worse with time. Of course the wire size feeding the amp is also critical.

Thanks Bodeen, I'll have to check the power connections. I bypassed the amp and plugged the stereo direcly to the speakers and it seems to have elimanated the clipping. It looks like I may have isolated the problem to the amp. Checking my paperwork, it looks like it's been on the bike a little over 2 years. I hope it just turns out to be a loose power connection

Back