free website stats program Boom Audio Hidden Antenna ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Boom Audio Hidden Antenna ?

LtDan1

Hi all, I'm considering the HD hidden-in-the-fairing antenna for my '08 RG. The online site says only available in stores, so they don't have the directions available online as a PDF like they do for most stuff.

Judging by the photo it looks like they provide enough antenna cable to run all the way from the stereo head unit to the back of the bike. (!?!) Does anyone know how these things install? Do they have you run that new cable all the way to the back of the bike and plug it in where the stock/whip antenna is located -- or what's up with all that wire, and what to do with it? If the antenna goes inside the fairing, it looks like the cable would be about 18" long, at most - - ? Thanks in advance for any explanations!

I don't know why they supply so much cable. I have a "Tune Trapper" hidden antenna inside my fairing. I got it at a local chain auto parts store for about $30. It also has a longer than necessary lead, but I just have it tie wrapped in a loop. I just unplugged the factory lead from the back of the radio and plugged the T.T. in. Later, I decided I would like to use the original whip antenna on trips for better reception, so I got a antenna "Y" connector (about $4), and now I have a choice without removing my outer fairing.
Note, my T.T. is not powered like the boom hidden antenna is. I have read pro and con about the advantages.

I don't know how much the HD unit costs but I'll bet it's a lot.

Like Breeze, I just went to a local auto parts store and bought a "T-shaped" plastic, powered antenna and put it in the fairing. Plugged it right into the back of the stereo and zip tied everything neatly into place. Works great and if I don't have enough reception in remote areas, I just pop in a CD!

I went to a local marine supply house and bought a marine grade hidden diapole antenna. It came with about 18" of cable. I too have a Y connector so that I can still use my whip antenna.

Thanks for the replies guys. I rarely use the radio at all as I've gotten really addicted to using the ipod just plugged in at the stereo and tossed into the glove box. So nice -- all your own preselected music and nothing else. So I mainly want an antenna just to have something on that is "correct" even though I'll rarely use it that way. I've never even put a CD in my player to see if it works.

The suggestion of a y connector to have the whip option is a great idea, and one I think I'll use! Thanks for that idea.

Two of you mentioned costs, and the HD Boom antenna is $50 . . . ? Sounds like other stuff is available that may work as well? I'll look around.

I also read on another related string about trimming the antenna with the set screw -- does anybody know if that would apply to an '08 RG -- I'm pretty sure there's no adjustment on the face of the unit, not sure about around back where the antenna will plug in.

Thanks again to all -- good food for thought. I appreciate the input.

I also read on another related string about trimming the antenna with the set screw -- does anybody know if that would apply to an '08 RG -- I'm pretty sure there's no adjustment on the face of the unit, not sure about around back where the antenna will plug in.

Thanks again to all -- good food for thought. I appreciate the input.

My buddy with the same yr./model as mine said he heard that 24" was the magic number for antenna length, and cut his whip down to 24". We have compared reception a couple of times by selecting the same station as we ride and it seems to be pretty close between the 2 bikes, with my reception being just a little stronger than his. I don't know if this is related wholly to the whip length, or my combination of 2 antennas.

i just put a powered hidden antenna in my SG and were i live my reception is lousy. so options are to go the y connector route or bag to my whip or live with it. 2 of the 3 means im takin the fairing off again.:newsmile058:

Back