free website stats program bolt sizes | Harley Davidson Forums

bolt sizes

tomwh

I have a 95 FXDS Con Dyna lowrider. I have bought some highway pegs but I need some bolts and nuts. I have attached a photo of the bolts I need. One is missing from the frame and I need 2 new ones to fit the new pegs. Can any tell me what size bolts I need. and of course what the thread is on the missing bolt would it be AF or metric.

Attachments

• P1010245 copy.jpg
    P1010245 copy.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 24
Whenever I need some hardware I've found the dealer is your best bet. They can pull out the manual and find the exact bolt that you are looking for. Try taking the bolt that you have down to the dealership with you and see if they have a replacement, if not I'm sure they will order it for you.

They are all 3/8"x16 SAE, 1 1/2" long. It looks like one frame bolt is torx head and the other is allen head. I'd replace all with matching heads. Most hardware stores will have them at much less than HD shop. What is AF thread?

Calling it an AF would be a term used in the UK to mean it is not metric or whitworth as the tools are measured across the flats of the bolt heads hence the terminology AF as whitworth are tools are marked with the thread size
metric came along later and are just called metric although the tools are measured AF
The thread types used with AF sized tools would be unf (unified fine) unc (unified coarse)
at 16 turns per inch would be a coarse thread and therefore unc

Unified Thread Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brian

Calling it an AF would be a term used in the UK to mean it is not metric or whitworth as the tools are measured across the flats of the bolt heads hence the terminology AF as whitworth are tools are marked with the thread size
metric came along later and are just called metric although the tools are measured AF
The thread types used with AF sized tools would be unf (unified fine) unc (unified coarse)
at 16 turns per inch would be a coarse thread and therefore unc

Unified Thread Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brian

Thanks Brian. I had the feeling the op didn't make a typo. Now if I can only remember that bit of info until it comes up again in my lifetime. :s

When i was a young lad and looking to get some tools to work on my first motorcycle metric tools were hard to find WW and AF were commonplace however the UK went metric a number of years ago and now metric tools are easy to find but AF and WW are much harder to get although i still have some of my dad's tools and use his 1/2" socket set a lot

Brian

Back