free website stats program bolt on saddlebags | Harley Davidson Forums

bolt on saddlebags

Billbo

I have seen recently a kit that replaces the HD saddlebag clips (half turn) pins that hold the hard bags on our Touring bikes, with a small thru bolt. My question is this -- are these bags really subject to falling off while riding down the Interstate (or any road)?? If yes, then why couldn't we just replace 1 of the pins with a bolt making removal much easier?

Thanks
Bill

Sorry!! I committed the forum 'Cardinal sin' by not looking it up before I posted. I found here that others have already discussed this and that they have indeed installed thru bolts in place of the twist lock pins. Unless, someone tells me different, I think I will be doing this too, but just using fender clipon nuts and small bolts (3/16" x ~1-1/4" long I believe will work).

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the stock setup is kind of funky but would think having both come loose at the same time would be a rare occurrence. I have the rallies around mine so having it fall off completely most likely wouldn't happen.

This is a picture I found on another site several months ago. This setup works great unless you are constantly taking the bags on and off, and even then its just a minor inconvenience to grab a half inch socket. They haven't come loose on me yet, but I take a quick look at them before and after each ride just to be sure. I used longer bolts (1-1/4") so that in case they loosen a couple threads they will still be securely fastened, and I also used lock washers (not shown in pic) just to make me feel better. Was around $4 or so at the local hardware store for four sets of everything. Cheap answer to those troublesome quick turn thingies. Mine had bent and were just waiting to come loose. It's also somewhat of a theft deterrent-- won't stop anybody, but certainly not as quick as turning a pin.

Attachments

• bag hardware.PNG
    bag hardware.PNG
    734.5 KB · Views: 26
I personally don't think bolting them is necessary. Even tho the setup is a funky design. once turned and locked into place the pins are not going anywhere. With thousands of miles under my belt I had 1 of them come loose and fall into the hard bag but that was operator error, I didn't lock it in properly. JMHO.

There are a ton of baggers running up and down the road with the factory attachment. I personally have never witnessed a bag falling off. I would bet that the ones that have were A: overloaded by way too much. B: not secured properly to begin with.

It seems to me most discussions about these attachments are more from a sitting still security standpoint but, I may be wrong.

It's not really the bags falling off that's the problem.
Areas around the country (Las Vegas has been mentioned), that bags are easily stolen off the bikes with just a screwdriver slipped from the outside and bags are then popped off.

There are kits to help prevent them being stolen.

Well, I started it -- and apologized for not looking for my answers up front. BUT, yesterday, I did buy and install the bolts. I replaced the rear mounting pin in both bags with thru bolts using the clip on "U nut".

I did come up with another question for yall. Are the locating pin or bolt holes adjustable at all???? When I remove the pins and remove the bags, I have a difficult time aligning the bag hole with the pin hole on the frame. To me, the holes are just not lined up right!! Any information on this would be appreciated. Even if you tell me they are hard to reinstall!! ;-)

Bill

Well, I started it -- and apologized for not looking for my answers up front. BUT, yesterday, I did buy and install the bolts. I replaced the rear mounting pin in both bags with thru bolts using the clip on "U nut".

I did come up with another question for yall. Are the locating pin or bolt holes adjustable at all???? When I remove the pins and remove the bags, I have a difficult time aligning the bag hole with the pin hole on the frame. To me, the holes are just not lined up right!! Any information on this would be appreciated. Even if you tell me they are hard to reinstall!! ;-)

Bill

The bracket that holds the clipon spring for the dzus fastener can be rotated in an arc, forward and backward and the bracket can be moved vertically in the slotted mounting hole. However, when all said and done, both holes might not be perfectly aligned. I agree with others that the bolts are not necessary; I have never lost a saddle bag nor do I know of anyone that has and the dzus fastener sure make on/off of the bags easy.

I have adjusted mine to as close as I can get to alignment but learned a long time ago that the simplest way to attach the bags is to lock down the front and push the rear hole up/down, right/left as required to get the rear pin to ling up and lock it down; you may have to "wrestle" with it a bit, there is a technique to everything.:s Everything is in tension and unless a fastener is worn or the spring is weak, call it good.

Dolt, thanks and I am happy to read they 'can' be difficult at times to line up and pin. Thought I may have to do some adjusting. (I put on a set of Leatherlike bags on a VStar Classic and the pins were mounted to the frame and you put the bags up and holes lined up really well and the bag just pushed onto the pins and clipped.) humm wonder why a guy couldn't put a 'bolt-on' pin on the bike and install the bags in the same manner with a cotter pin to secure. OH well -- I like my RK and the bags on it!!

Bill

I will try front first method and see if it helps. Thanks.

Back