free website stats program Bolt inside primary that requires inspection and torque | Harley Davidson Forums

Bolt inside primary that requires inspection and torque

I have an 08 road glide and when I had my local shop do the 1k and 10k service, I was told that the primary cover needed to be removed because there is a bolt that needs to be check and torqued.
Well I'm at 20k and I want to do the service myself. I need help identifing this bolt and torque spec.
I somehow get the feeling it is just a something to get me to pay more for the gasket and service, because I have searched and unable to find anything on this subject.

Please Advise
Bob

you should check the compensator bolt but i dont think its on the 20k service i would have to look it up and im off for work in a few

Be sure to use the correct locking block for your year bike. Using Bold Print in the service manual for my 2009 bike it states, Do Not use the "stair step" block to lock the primary chain.

And that's the block I would have used had I not read the manual before-hand.

Be sure to use the correct locking block for your year bike. Using Bold Print in the service manual for my 2009 bike it states, Do Not use the "stair step" block to lock the primary chain.

And that's the block I would have used had I not read the manual before-hand.

its the same for the 08 they want you to use the locking bar not the step

its the same for the 08 they want you to use the locking bar not the step

Bud I don't know. Since the OP's bike was so close in year to mine, I thought I would mention it. Like always, it's a must to have the correct service manual while doing a job.

Why is using the stair type lock WRONG? just curious

According to my service manual, when the stair-step lock tool is used, it PULLS the basket & compensator TOGETHER. The locking bar tool, PUSHES the basket and compensator AWAY from each other.

I believe there are some steel alignment dowels that are no longer used on the 2009, which supposing keeps you from doing damage. (or something to this nature.. not really sure on this part)

The Bar or step block I am sure is both Year & model sensitive.

I believe the locking bar is more aimed at locking the primary assembly up without stressing the chain and the new tensioner more than other things. That's my take on it.

To the OP. Try to post some particulars other than "a bolt that needs tightening" if you expect a valid answer. Maybe question the tech as to what bolt so we can reply with an answer that will help you instead of getting 59 posts about 59 bolts.:s

I believe the locking bar is more aimed at locking the primary assembly up without stressing the chain and the new tensioner more than other things.

Think you hit it. That sounds like the real reason. I wish the manual would have gone into detail why, but it does show in several places the stair step block with a circle and line going through it with the words "Do not Use".

When I did my SE compensator I was all set on making 1 of those stair step blocks. Oh it was going to be the most beautiful stair step block on the planet. It's a good thing I did the smart thing and read the manual.:p

Back