free website stats program Bluetooth Compatibility - Anyone know how? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bluetooth Compatibility - Anyone know how?

Wow, looks like a fully integrated BlueTooth system is going to be an expensive option in either case, the Harley one is GPS to cellphone centric at a $1000 (GPS, mount and all the headset regalia) or $500+ for the J&M...but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for, or wait until the pricing and technology to get into the ball park...it is spring after all "Play Ball...!" :small3d031:

I'm still looking for that 06 Harley module that I had on the 07 Ultra. It was perfect for what I needed. I can live with the cord to the helmet but would like to have the phone connectivity. There HAS to be one sitting on a shelf new and unopened SOMEWHERE.

Well, I found one...(actually Bob Nichols at Bruce Rossmeyer HD in Daytona found one for me) which apparently is the last one remaining in the entire United States still available new in the box. It is located at Chipps Harley Davidson in Osceola, Iowa. Bob told me they didn't have an account with them so he couldn't get it and I would have to deal with them direct (which I didn't have any issue with eliminating a middle-man who , no-doubt, would get a piece of the pie). So...I called Chipps. The first time I called I asked for the parts guy (Robbie) and was transferred to parts where I listened to elevator music for about 15 minutes on hold. I hung up and called back. Same guy answered and said Robbie was on the other line but offered to help me. I asked about the module and he said I was the second person to call about it in 2 days (Bruce Rossmeyer HD probably being the other) and that he had to check if they still had it because it is posted on their EBay store and could be gone. (It was not listed on their ebay store or anywhere else on ebay - I had already checked). Back on hold again. "Ok, yup...got it right here. - $499.99" I asked the question "Full MSRP for a part that was obsoleted 3 or 4 years ago?" and he said they don't mark down their parts even if they are obsolete and if they don't sell, they either return them to HD (That doesn't happen, I'm positive) or they sell them on EBay in their store. Needless to say, I thanked the guy for his time and told him that I was not going to pay $500 plus shipping for a part that was obsolete when J&M Audio has total Bluetooth integration of the HK Advanced Audio so not only can you link with a cell phone but can eliminate the corded helmet connection all together. His response was akin to "OK...whatever." So...I guess hooking my cellphone into my audio system is not gonna happen. (Especially not to the tune of $500 plus shipping! My iPhone 4 didn't cost that much!)

Needless to say, I thanked the guy for his time and told him that I was not going to pay $500 plus shipping for a part that was obsolete when J&M Audio has total Bluetooth integration of the HK Advanced Audio so not only can you link with a cell phone but can eliminate the corded helmet connection all together. His response was akin to "OK...whatever." So...I guess hooking my cellphone into my audio system is not gonna happen. (Especially not to the tune of $500 plus shipping! My iPhone 4 didn't cost that much!)

Remember you also would need the harness - it's not included. Also, unless the one they have is the very last firmware version, it might have trouble working with the iPhone 4.

Having said that, I'm so reliant on the thing, that if I lost mine, I'd pay $499! Luckily, I have a spare. :)

(Oh, and I do have the Garmin 660, but using that with the somewhat unreliable NIM is nowhere NEAR as good as the HK one.)

They do come up on ebay now and again though, so keep searching!

Jim

I found a new deal from J&M Audio that looks promising.

CFBR-HRUC Product Information

A bit pricey though but it seems to do pretty much what the old HK unit did.
I am NOT ready to throw $600 to be able to talk on my $200 cell phone while riding a motorcycle, however.

Hey guys, new to the site as I stumbled on this thread trying to solve the same issue with a '11 Ultra Limited. I think I may have found a solution for about $300-400 or maybe a little less by combining the Sena SM10 headsets which are just normal bluetooth riding headsets BUT they have multipoint capability and the Sena dual band transmitter which has an adapter to hook into the HD intercom system (a $20 cable). (Can't put links up as I am too new to the site.)

From what I gather, you should be able to tether your phone to one channel of the headsets and then hook the transmitter into the bike, hide it either in the console or the trunk more likely (they also have a charger that fits the aux plug in there if it's equipped), and put that on the other channel.

I'm about 95% on this but it looks like then both you and the back-seater will have audio from the bike (xm/ipod/fm) and in addition each would have their own phone tethered to their individual helmet.

The only thing I cannot figure out is if you would maintain the ability to talk over the HD CB radio which I know a lot of guys like to do on group rides. I'm still looking into it but if I decide to go this route I will post results.

Steve

I hope there is some new technology that can be shared here. Up until now, my husband and I have done bike to bike communicating with his factory CB on the Ultra and my J&M handlebar mount CB on my Heritage. With my new Street Glide, we were thinking about trying Bluetooth. I also have a Zumo 655 I'm installing. Can the factory radio be configured so that I can listen to the radio, get navigation directions, and communicate with my husband all via a Bluetooth headset? I know that sounds dangerous. Also, how difficult is it to make and receive calls from your riding partner while riding if you're using Bluetooth? What are the best Bluetooth systems to add to helmets? The technology is ever changing so I hope there is something simple. I've been reading up on this stuff, but it's pretty confusing.

Let's bump this thread up again and see if anyone may have come up with a solution. I spoke with Iron Cross concerning their Bluetooth installation to the stock HK radio and they told me it was not a cell phone interface. You can get a unit from J&M Audio but it is about $500 and change. The original 76408-06 unit is obsoleted by HD and not available anywhere. I managed to locate one at a Harley Dealership awhile ago but they wanted a ridiculous price (new MSRP) and they wouldn't budge. They knew they were not readily available and could ask pretty much what they wanted, take it or leave it. I am really amazed that, seeing the new bikes have come out with Bluetooth cell phone compatibility, (thereby pretty much eliminating the "you shouldn't be talking on your cell phone while riding" argument against the unit) that they haven't re-offered the old interface for us many riders with pre-2014 touring bikes, or, that some aftermarket company hasn't cloned the old interface. I'm telling you, I really liked that unit when I had my 07 Ultra and kick myself to this day for not taking it out when I swapped bikes.

Back