free website stats program blue stain on pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

blue stain on pipes

Randall K. Wilson

My brother just bought a sportster and the aftermarket pipes are blue up next the engine about a foot. Any tips on getting this off and getting back to a nice chrome look?

He was told what caused the blueing has beeen corrected.

I think once the pipes turn blue they do not go back chrome. Most of the bikes actually have a heat shield that covers maybe 3/4 of the actual exhaust pipe and you just do not see the blue pipes. Heat will turn any metal blue if it is hot enough, you might look to see if the shields were removed?

Only way to correct the cause of bluing is to not run the engine. It's a common thing and happens to most bikes.

There's a few products like "blue away" on the market to remove the bluing but it also removes chrome too and leaves a somewhat dull appearance after you use it and the bluing will return anyway.

Last edited:
Nope. Shiny new heat shields. Will also give you (and any passenger) the best chance of avoiding a Harley brand. Even with shields, I am afraid to say I have a couple.

TQ

Darn ! I was hoping for a miracale cure !

My 2008 Street Glide has a blue spot between the shields. I'm running stock exhaust and air clearner for now and wonder if freeing up the air flow might help my cause. I suppose I could try to find a shield to go in between the shields !

sgsam

Darn ! I was hoping for a miracale cure !

My 2008 Street Glide has a blue spot between the shields. I'm running stock exhaust and air clearner for now and wonder if freeing up the air flow might help my cause. I suppose I could try to find a shield to go in between the shields !

sgsam

Kuryakyn sells them. $36.99. I have it on mine. HD sells a full one piece cover for about $75

i1853_12147kur9196tthpu.jpg

Kuryakyn sells them. $36.99. I have it on mine. HD sells a full one piece cover for about $75

i1853_12147kur9196tthpu.jpg

Yep, Slider has the tip...it is an old UJM trick, the high performance fours had double walled pipe (the external wall doubled as a heat shield). That is why you will see standard Honda 750K4 and others from the '70's still have shiny pipes. HD probably saw the aftermarket was so huge, why bother...:newsmile038:

Back