free website stats program Blue ridge parkway | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Blue ridge parkway

I recommend starting out in the north and heading south. I did the BRP last year just before memorial day, I started out in Front Royal Virginia and went through the Shenandoah National Park and then I did the BRP from start to finish. It is a great ride and the scenery just gets better & better as you head south.

Questions: I rode the BRP three summers ago and sections around the NC /
VA border were closed due to pending repairs, from rock or landslides as I recall, and the conversations were that it would take years to reopen, if it ever was.

From the posts, sounds like the BRP is open all the way. Is this correct? Last August I drove in my pickup in Shenandoah and along the BRP to Roanoke and many of the overlooks were closed due to resurfacing work, and even one campground (the one by the lake, on the east side) was closed. Is this still going on?

Will most likely be in that area again this summer and would like to know. Appreciate your help.

Questions: I rode the BRP three summers ago and sections around the NC /
VA border were closed due to pending repairs, from rock or landslides as I recall, and the conversations were that it would take years to reopen, if it ever was.

From the posts, sounds like the BRP is open all the way. Is this correct? Last August I drove in my pickup in Shenandoah and along the BRP to Roanoke and many of the overlooks were closed due to resurfacing work, and even one campground (the one by the lake, on the east side) was closed. Is this still going on?

Will most likely be in that area again this summer and would like to know. Appreciate your help.

Always best to check their website for the most up to date info:

Blue Ridge Parkway - Home

I am planing a trip down the Blue ridge parkway for the first week in August 2011.

I have never made this ride before so I am seeking others experiences, what to see, not to see, funny stories, food, camping etc....

Thanks in advance.

I am also planning on doing the parkway, except I want to go during the Fall when the leaves are turning. Does anyone have any reccomendations on how many days to plan for doing the entire parkway or maybe just doing the VA section.... I'm in Williamsburg, about 2 hrs or so from the Northern start

I am also planning on doing the parkway, except I want to go during the Fall when the leaves are turning. Does anyone have any reccomendations on how many days to plan for doing the entire parkway or maybe just doing the VA section.... I'm in Williamsburg, about 2 hrs or so from the Northern start

I'm just going by what I've heard - along with the increased beauty of the BRP in the fall comes a tenfold increase in the traffic! Not trying to say you shouldn't go then but be prepared.

I did the entire BRP last summer north to south in 2 days. Hardly stopped at any overlooks. Just did it for the ride. Easy 2 day ride if you don't stop much. Allow 3 or 4 if you like to stop, take pictures, read all the markers, etc.

Take your time and see as much as you can, you`ll love the ride. wife and I did this ride twice.

Back