free website stats program Blowing through rocker gaskets | Harley Davidson Forums

Blowing through rocker gaskets

So after my top end job the issue I am having is with the resr cyclinder lower rocker gasket. This puppy after a couple of rides ends up leaking and after I dig in I find it ripped at the same spot. This last time I put my finger on it I found an area that had a rough spot on the top side of that lower rocker and its the same spot where it is ripping the rubber gasket. Should I hit it with a file? Or lighten up on the torqueing? I am not going radiation tight with these juut snug.

Quite possibly the box is a bit warped. It should be replaced or honed a bit to even check it out.

Use a bit of valve lapping compound on a piece of glass and go in a figure 8 to see where the high spots are. It will tell the story right away.

If it has got a small rough spot a file may be a wee bit coarse and a fine grit paper on a block may be difficult to be precise with but i would give it a wee try but the grinding paste on glass would keep everything even and perhaps be the best way to go

Brian

How did this happen ? Must have gotten damaged in the rebuild. May be best just to replace the part and call it fixed. Good luck with the repair.

How did this happen ? Must have gotten damaged in the rebuild. May be best just to replace the part and call it fixed. Good luck with the repair.

The rocker boxes can get sprung when removing them if you do not use the proper bolt removal procedure

Back