free website stats program Blowing out headlight bulbs | Harley Davidson Forums

Blowing out headlight bulbs

AZDave

I was doing great with an aftermarket brighter headlamp bulb but now I have gone through 3 in two months. Any idea what it might be caused by?

Check the connector really good. Make sure it is making good contact. Pull the fuse and make sure the bldes on it are clean too.

They just don't make them like they use to.:p

The Silverstar High Performance 9003/HB2 that I changed mine to on my way back from Oregon last summer, only lasted about 2400 miles. Their Silverstar High Perf H4 is only rated at 50 hrs so it wouldn't last between oil changes. They just aren't made for the vibration on our Harleys. I put an old Thorn H4 bulb in for now that I'd taken out of a car of mine 25 yrs ago. Looking at the Philips MotoVision bulbs that are made for motorcycles. Other than Amazon, I'm not finding any in stores.

They all do that... :D

jk. I'm using HD Bulb with the blue tip forget what the call it. They seem to last. 2o some bucks though.

Vibration, oil on your fingers and an over charging regulator are all factors on bulbs also

I've run Sylvania Silver Star bulbs on both my '02 Sportster and '07 Ultra and never had them blow out.

Make sure that nothing touches the bulb when you put the new bulb in!

Vibration, oil on your fingers and an over charging regulator are all factors on bulbs also

I agree with Jack. I had issues with regulator and it blew my bulb and cracked my lense. Also touching the bulb leaves oil from your skin and the Halogen bulbs get really hot. This hot oil will cause your bulb to pop.
The regulator issue will also overcharge your battery. Just before i popped a bulb I could smell a sweet smell, like antifreeze coming from my bike. I assumed i ran through a puddle of anti--. It was my battery boiling acid.(gel)

Back