free website stats program Blowing fuse on start up | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Blowing fuse on start up

Dunno if anyone's left ready this...

Anyway. Did the diagnostics today, the only error code I got was "61122" which I believe is a left turn signal failure? The left turn signal has never failed, however does that mean it's worth investigating that? I've taken it apart and had a quick look, didnt see anything, but I think I should be looking a bit harder and longer ...

left turn signal failure? The left turn signal has never failed,

While the fuse was blown it should have been (my guess). If you have a "hands free" fob, it could have been the fuse blew when you turned OFF the bike from the last run. When the turn signals flash when setting the security, thats when the fuse blows.

I don't have the schematics in front of me, but take a look at how the turn signal bulbs work. Does one side of the bulb have power and the TSSM provides a ground shot, OR is one side of the bulb grounded, and the TSSM provides power to light the bulb. If the TSSM provides the power, you may be on to finding the problem based on the b1122 code.

Couple of ways to determine what is going on. Easiest being to clear the b1122 code and wait for the next time the fuse blows. See if a new b1122 gets logged. That will tell you a bunch about this problem. If the TSSM supplies the power and not the ground shot, you may be dealing with a short/pinched wire on the positive wire going to the left bulb. It could be the positive drive line is just being driven to ground, thus blowing the fuse.

I read somewhere my 2009 TSSM had a current limiting circuit but not sure about 2006. It is possible HD relied on the fuse only to protect the circuit back in 2006.

Im not sure, if I sent you a copy of the wiring diagram would you be able to tell me which way the bulb is grounded? I'm struggling but trying!! :)

The bike has a "double click" style alarm, they dont do them any more I beleive. I was playing with the bike earlier trying to turn the alarm off (so it didnt auto-arm) and I burst the fuse (first time I have been aware I have done this) whilst doing the left indicator / alarm fob click manuvere. I reckon that tells me a bit.

I never received any wiring diagrams. It would be a big help.

Yes, if the fuse blew while setting the alarm, you may be sitting on your problem. Just for fun you may try replacing the fuse, put the ignition ON (engine off),, turn on the left turn signal, and try moving some cables under fender just to see if you can get the fuse to blow.
Move the cables entering the turn signal fixtures also.

There are a few ways you can approach repairing this. The above is just one way if you don't want to drag out the tools. I would also reduce the fuse rating (7.5 should be plenty) just for the test to make it easier and quicker to exceed the nominal current flow.

No indeed, I wouldnt send you anything without obtaining your permission first.

Anyway. Here's a copy of the wiring diagram - please pardon my electrical stupidity if I've put the wrong one :)

wiring.png

That's the right one but also need connecting diagram that shows connector 7B (page 2). It should show the actual bulbs.

Mossberg

Please be informed that the MAX size for posting any sort of picture is 800 X 600.

Your pictures are 1,680px × 1,050px which is twice the size of what is allowed.

Please don't post any more oversize pics or they will be removed.

Thanks

Yes, that was it. It shows on all bulbs, one side is ground and power is supplied by the TSSM. Look at the TSSM, and you will see pin #5 is the "Left turn feed". That violet wire is probably touching ground somewhere.

I would start with checking the base of the bulbs (on left side) and the associted socket. Look for any corrosion. Good chance that's it. Look for pinched wire where it exits fixture. Under fender etc...

Sounds like something is loading down that violet wire. Your TSSM may not have current limiting.

Back