free website stats program Blowing fuse on start up | Harley Davidson Forums

Blowing fuse on start up

Mossberg

Hi all, this is my first post here, hope you can help!

I have a 2006 Dynaglide Street Bob FXDBi. Lately it has been blowing the fuse marked "battery" in the fuse box. It doesnt do this when the bike is running, the sequence of events goes like this -

Double click alarm remote
turn key
bike charges up fuel injection

I'm ready to go. Then I lean over the bike (not sitting on it) and the starter button is dead. Turn the ignition key off and then on, and the fuel injection doesnt charge, although the headlight and neutral lights etc are all working fine.

This doesnt happen every time, and once I fit another fuse (got a few in my pocket ...) then everything is fine ... until next time, which could be a day, or a few days, but it seems to be getting worse.

Anyone got any ideas? For information, I'm pretty familiar with bikes, ridden 30 years, but this is my first Harley, I've had it about a year. I'm pretty aweful with electrics as well :(

Thanks for any help!!

Any modifications to the Bike? Start at the battery and check all connections, pay attention that no wires are rubbing any where. Has there been any work done on the handle bars and or switches?

No work done on anything in at least a year :(

Harley Davidson Community check this next, if you have an over charging issue or a short in the system you could have some issues, 06 models had stator issues, check the self help section , you will find pictures and posts on the problems, use the search box with key words like 06 dyna stator problems:s

I sounds possibly like you have a pinched wire in the switch housing on the bars that is causing the fuse to blow. Open the right side housing up and inspect the wires coming out of the housing for bare or crushed wires.

Are you working with a schematic from a service manual. The closest I have to your bike is a 2006 Softail with EFI. Can't say your 2006 Dyna is the same but on the 2006 Softail, the battery fuse only supplies power to 2 places.

1) to pin #1 of connector 30B which is the TSSM connector. (which would explain why the start button is dead when the fuse blows)
2) to pin #5 of connector 39B which goes directly to the speedo.

Can you confirm if your 2006 Dyna is the same as what I am looking at. To repair a problem such as this you should have the schematics in hand.

I'm terrible with electrics, this question will take me a little time to answer, please bear with me. I have a pdf manual for a 2009 Dyna Street Bob but I dont have one for a 2006, however I beleive they are much the same. Kinda short on money at the moment.

It is too risky comparing your bike to a manual of 3 years later. Can't trust it for a problem of this type.

ok I've had the seat off, and had a look about, nothing too obvious although the earth on the battery (!) was a tiny bit looser than I would have liked so I tightened it.

Took it on a 30 mile ride, stopped and waited for a bit, then restarted, nothing blown yet ...

Been several days now, and many start-ups, and no problems, looks like it was a loose earth all the time ...

Thanks for your help, and I like your forum ,its a really useful resource!

Back