free website stats program Blowing accessory fuse | Harley Davidson Forums

Blowing accessory fuse

myhd3

On my 2003 Electra Glide, the accessory fuses keeps blowing when applying fornt/rear brakes. When it blows, the speedo/odometer and gauges go out along with the directionals, tach works. Anybody else have similar issue. No aftermarket add ons-all HD parts and HD installed.

You obviously have a short to ground in the brake light circuit. Look under the rear fender and see if the wires are rubbed through under there from the tire. Quite often they come loose from the attachment point and this happens. Otherwise you have to eyeball the wires in the circuit starting under the seat where they pass through the fender for cuts or bare spots.

Had the same problem last week. I traced all the wires from the wiring harness and looked at the manual schematic for my brake and turn indicators, I found a small break in the right side turn indicator that was rubbing against the frame. Spliced, soldered and placed two layers of heat tube shrink tubing Voila problem gone. Good luck

Thanks, so far no luck, got it to dealer-nothing found, moved connectors/rode for 25 miles no issues. Will see when I pick up.

As I replied to Glider- no luck, got it to dealer-nothing found, moved connectors/rode for 25 miles no issues. Will see when I pick up.
Thanks for your thoughts as well.

I'm having the same problem on my 2004 flhtp. Checked all the usual things like frame rubs and so on. It blows whenever it feels like it. No corolation between using brakes or turns. The dealer has been working on it for 4 day's and it's still doing it, but they can't figure out why yet? It is getting frustrating. I bought the bike used from them, so at least it is thier baby for warranty.

Well, The Dealer pulled the fairing off and the wiring was a mess. Someone did it up right. I mean wrong. It is a wonder it didn't catch fire. The Mechanics at Frederick, Md. HD did a Great job. It took one of them almost a whole day to fix all of the wiring under the fairing. He soldered and shrink wrapped and so on. I picked it up the other day and have been riding it for two days now. No issues so far. I think they got it. I don't know who was more frustrated me or the poor guy's that had to work on it. It was warranty.
The shop foreman and head Mechanic/Technician Chris gets an A+ in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, have had similar issue with 4 wheeled vehicles-hate cut and splices; Picked up bike last week, they experienced the issue, but could not find any culpret, so they wiggled and jiggled the connections throughout and could not duplicate the problem afterward. Other than the poor tech eating his labor (managed to pull out the wiring for the GPS-dealer to replace) the Nashua NH team try to keep us happy and on the road. First road trip this week, hoping for no issues.

I was having the same problem on my 03 ultra. Ended up being the cigarette lighter shorting. I unplugged it and no problems

Dino79, welcome to the HDTimeline forum. You will find a lot of fellow riders and enthusiasts who will share and help you troubleshoot and improve your ride. That said, you did 1/2 of the troubleshooting process, which was isolating the problem. You really should fix the cigarette lighter short to ground, likely culprits are cut insulation or frayed wiring. Pull the main fuse, then pull the accessory fuse. Don't know if you knew, the front part of a cigarette lighter shell unscrews, so you can disassemble it from front panel and the works. Inspect the socket, wiring contacts and clean up any corrosion or frayed wiring or burned parts.

Some people make the mistake that an accessory outlet is the same (it is NOT)...as a cigarette lighter outlet which uses a ceramic insulator (remember a pop out cigarette lighter has an extremely bright red hot heater element, and would "cook" the phenolic/plastic insulator of an accessory type outlet (which is only designed for 10A fuse tops) verses 25-30A fuse for an honest to gosh real cigarette lighter).

Last edited:
Back