free website stats program block under kickstand | Harley Davidson Forums

block under kickstand

dogdad

I have heard and seen a lot of people put a block under there kickstand to change engine oil. Yesterday, my HD tech (the one that told me about the hot water on new tires with blue coatings) told me that was not necessary to do this as the oil plug was on the left and this let the oil drain in that direction. Do you block your kickstand to change the oil?

I have heard and seen a lot of people put a block under there kickstand to change engine oil. Yesterday, my HD tech (the one that told me about the hot water on new tires with blue coatings) told me that was not necessary to do this as the oil plug was on the left and this let the oil drain in that direction. Do you block your kickstand to change the oil?

Nope, but I do sit on it and hold it up when I think its done draining always have dont know if I will stop:D

Engine oil - leave it on the jiffy stand.

Transmission fluid - stand the bike up level.

Both techniques are due to the location of the drain plugs.

Agree with this Never have used a block it was designed to be drained on the stand. same with primary.

While I do change the oil and tranny on the jiffy stand for speedy change...I will sometimes put a block of wood under the side stand to get a bit more clearance so the regular drain container I use can slide in without juggling. As an alternate I do lean the bike level at times and secure with straps when I inspect underneath (I put a flatenned cardboard so I don't have to lay on the ground). :57:

2010 FatBoy, Oil drain plug on bottom right side. I let oil drain until it stopped, then leaned it to right, more came out. Not a quart, but a pretty good amount.
wilks3

I tend to change all 3 fluids at the same time in the summer and change the chaincase and transmission every other motor oil change, in the winter. I know it is over kill but "my ride, I decide". So I open up all the plugs and drain everything at the same time. I start on the jiffy stand and then move it upright, so I do both. I do notice some more motor oil come out when I move the bike upright. I will guess at 4-6 oz. or so.

I would think that those who have an oil cooler never get all the oil out anyway, so I wouldn't think it would be a big deal if there is a "little hold up".
To me, as long as you don't over fill or really under fill, you are good to go.
When I change just the oil, I don't tip it off the jiffy stand.

I think that is why the emphasis is on checking the oil level the way the manual says rather than telling you a specific amount of oil to add during an oil change. Most of the "amount" appear to me to be ballpark figures.

I use my bike lift but position it just to support the bike in the uright positon as my gearbox drain plug is on the right side of the gearbox and i have to remove the front silencer to get acess to it
took a wee while to find it the first time as service manual locates the drain plug on the underside of the gearbox between the shock absorbers

Brian

Since mu oil plug is on the right side i use the bike lift so it's level to drain the engine oil . Haven't figured out a good way to drain the tranny on the lift so i do use a 2x4 under the kick stand to get the plug out then sit on it straight up until it's all drained out .

Back