free website stats program Blinkers gone nuts | Harley Davidson Forums

Blinkers gone nuts

harleydogg

All the bulbs are good. When I turn on either of them on ,they blink 4 times normal then blink very fast. So what gives? thanks for the help.

Try turning on the ignition and press the left directional switch and let it blink over 5 times and do the same for the right side. The TSM sometimes will adjust to a varying load. Also make sure when it starts blinking faster that the bulbs are still both blinking front and rear, you may have a swinging element in a bulb.

Any led lights on the bike?

have you added any LED's to the turn signals?
Also see if you can find a friend with a 04 softail and swap over the TSM to see if yours has gone faulty, the only time mine did this was with the trailer wiring installed, when the trailer was on it was great normal flashing, when the trailer was off bingo your results

Hobbit,when I wire a motorcycle for hauling a trailer I always use a powered converter,that wayyou do not change anything on the bike to compensate for the extra draw.The converter senses the impulse and provides the power for the trailer lighting.

a shorted connection coming from one of your blinkers will do the same thing, but usally when they blink fast it's because one of the bulbs (front or back) isn't working.

I just put LED bulbs in my directionals front and rear, and mine are doing this exact thing. I also have the security system on my bike, and the security light is staying lit on the dash when I start the bike.

Any ideas?

Steve

When you guys are installing full LEDs in your signals are you putting any kind of resistor inline to create a larger draw? If not there is not enough draw on the system and it is tricked into thinking it has a bulb out or a wiring malfunction.

I dont know how your signals are wired but if there is a thermal flasher (2 prong) you might want to replace it. I just hardwired new signals on an old sportster and used a $2 thermal flasher from autozone and when I put the right signal on to test it, I got antsy and also pressed the left before I turned off the right and bingo. I got the exact same problem you are talking about. I overloaded the flasher unit and I just returned it, got a new one and the problem was fixed. My guess would be the flasher unit. Good luck

Back