free website stats program bleeding front brakes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

bleeding front brakes

I have never heard of anyone saying that just pulling the brake lever for 12 hours and then tapping the master cylinder would help. Seems kinda stupid to me. Of course, stupid is as stupid does right!! So, last night I wrapped a bungee cord around the brake lever (after breaking 3 zip ties that weren't big enough) and this morning I tapped the calipers, brake lines and master cylinder. Brakes haven't felt this good since I bought the bike!! Glad I know that other people's opinions are usually a lot better than my own!

awww man, I am loving this place !! :)

changed fluid, lever was wayyy too spongy, tried tying off the lever,
light taps on the lines and calipers as well, and now the brakes are as hard
as a rock :D

Brakes are now better than when I bought it. I may do it every couple
of months just to keep them this way.

Super, super, just super help !!!

Once when bleeding a friends front brakes on his wide glide,I removed the black master cyl.cap(which was being replaced with a chrome cover)and tapped it to fit an air hose fitting.Ran my air hose to it with just a bit of air pressure and bled the front brakes in no time at all.

On the newer bikes the master cylinder has the sight glass in the cover and if you remove the glass on a spare cover, an air chuck fitting will fit nicely into the hole and just about cut it's own threads because of the size. Seal it with some epoxy and you have a nice setup for doing the bleeding. I have one and when I get some time, I'll take a pic and post it in the self help area.
All you need is a pressure regulator and you're in business.

Never tried it that way. I always use my vacuum pump, but might give this a try next time.
How much air pressure are we talking in the regulator? Wouldn't think you would want it very high.

You don't need much at all to get it to flow, just a pound or two is more than enough. The seal on the cover cannot hold back much more than that. I'll see if I can get some pics today.

That's what I figured. I've got a regulator that I rigged up with a low pressure/low volume orifice, for another application.
Would probably work perfect for that.
Yeah...like Smitty says...if I can only find it!!!!!!

Last edited:
This is a great thread on how to bleed brakes, from simple no tools but a bungee cord, to single hose and a jar, to a full on "Pro-type" m/c cover pressure bleeder...ya gotta love how there are so many ways to do it. :D

Back