free website stats program bleeding brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

bleeding brakes

Mavagrand

It's time for me to bleed the brakes on my 08 EGC. Haven't done this in awhile and never on a motorcycle. I know MityVac makes a pump that simplifys the process, but I dont have one. I do have a hand suction pump with a flexible hose. My question: Can I use this suction pump to drain the brake fluid? If so, how? I assume slipping the rubber hose over the valve, opening the valve (with the cap off) and applying suction would work, am I right? thanx.

You are correct, or you can use a small clear bottle with some brake fluid in it and attach a hose to the bleeder and drop the other end of the hose into the brake fluid and pump the brake until the air bubbles stop. You can even just leave the hose attached for a bit and the gravity will work for you. Do not reuse the brake fluid.

Kemo

You may be able to use your pump; however the idea behind using the MityVac is the constant vacuum that it can provide. As long as you have a continuous vacuum, air bubles won't travel back into the system.

Someone smarter than me may be able to tell you how your suction pump can store vacuum.

I seem to think that some are stuck on the main page and afraid of getting lost if they look through the self help area.:lolrolling

Just use your back button if you get lost but use the self help forums before posting a question that is already answered there.:s

If you need help with the search function, USMCCWO5 can give you tips there unless he's busy doing push ups.:lolrolling

Last edited:
appreciate the input all....the self help section didn't address my particular question relating to my pump and how it compares to the MityVac, it has been helpful by detailing the proper procedure though

It's time for me to bleed the brakes on my 08 EGC. Haven't done this in awhile and never on a motorcycle. I know MityVac makes a pump that simplifys the process, but I dont have one. I do have a hand suction pump with a flexible hose. My question: Can I use this suction pump to drain the brake fluid? If so, how? I assume slipping the rubber hose over the valve, opening the valve (with the cap off) and applying suction would work, am I right? thanx.

I cant help wonder why "its time to bleed the brakes"...thats not exactly a scheduled maintenance procedure...:rider

You may be able to use your pump; however the idea behind using the MityVac is the constant vacuum that it can provide. As long as you have a continuous vacuum, air bubles won't travel back into the system.

Someone smarter than me may be able to tell you how your suction pump can store vacuum.

The key is the litttle plastic container with 2 fittings and the hose inside. You can buy a replacement mighty vac kit without the handpump at some autozones for under 15 bucks and use any vacume pupm with it.

You should change the brake fluid every couple of years. Brake fluid is hydroscopic which means that it absorbs water. The water will contaminate the brake fluid and cause internal damage and corrosion in the master cylinder and calipers. In DOT 5 brake fluid the water will settle to the lowest point and DOt 3 the water will mix with brake fluid. You should even have your cars brake fluid changed. Also the more water in the brake fluid the lower the boiling point of the brake fluid. When brake fluid boils your brakes will get mussy and you lose braking efficiency

Kemo

Back