free website stats program Black smoke | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Black smoke

I use Seafoam in both bikes for winter storage. One oz/gal of gas. Never had a problem. I use it in the snowblower and lawnmowers also. Buy it at a local Harley dealer.

Marvel's treatment is 4oz./10gal. So you would need 2oz. with a fill up. If you go the Seafoam route. Burn a couple of tank fulls of gas off after using the Seafoam before adding MMO. That will help with sticky injectors and also help lube/cut varnish on parts that only the gas sees.

TQ

I wouldn't assume it is not electric. That dead battery due to the tripped fuse is a clue. Something tripped that fuse/breaker. Either a spike on the line or possible lightening in the area.

Gary

I put some Marvels in it and changed the plugs, then took it for a ride(a very cold ride 34 degrees f here today) Seems to be running better with little to no smoke now, however it still doesn't seem to be running as good as it was, could that be a weak battery? It starts ok, a little lag when it turns over but the battery guage goes down to about 9 volts then comes up to 13-14 when it is running. I read in the service manual that a weka battery will cause the bike to run rich.

I put some Marvels in it and changed the plugs, then took it for a ride(a very cold ride 34 degrees f here today) Seems to be running better with little to no smoke now, however it still doesn't seem to be running as good as it was, could that be a weak battery? It starts ok, a little lag when it turns over but the battery guage goes down to about 9 volts then comes up to 13-14 when it is running. I read in the service manual that a weka battery will cause the bike to run rich.

I strongly recommend that everyone (especially those of us with the big baggers) get a battery tender and keep their batteries plug into the tender when they are not riding. This will keep your battery in the best condition possible. Frequent starts is VERY hard on the battery, and short rides hardly compensate for the power used to start and operate the bike on that short ride.

TQ

Back