free website stats program Black smoke | Harley Davidson Forums

Black smoke

Axeman747

I have a 2000 FLHTCUI with stage1, Samson pipes and a Power CommanderII. When I got the bike out this spring it is running rich. Rich enough that I can smell raw gas and there is black smoke coming from the exhaust. I pulled the plugs and they where black and wet. The bike was running fine when I put it up last winter. What should I check? Should I unhook the PC and see if that helps?

Unhooking the PC would be a good place to start. How's the air filter?

Some Marvel mystery oil in the fuel may help too if you find nothing else.

Nothing should have changed just sitting there, maybe the gas is a little stale, I would install new plugs and put a few miles on it to see, would not want to run it without the powercommander but if it doesn't clear up you could try it, just not for too long.

Thanks guys. Glider the filter is clean, I'll try the new plugs and some Marvel and see if that helps. The only thing that changed was a dead battery due to a blown fuse in the garage.

Unhooking the PC would be a good place to start. How's the air filter?

Some Marvel mystery oil in the fuel may help too if you find nothing else.

How much Marvel should you add to 5 gal to clean out the injectors and system and how often?

I'm with smitty I have had awesome results with Seafoam, not a clue what in it, but it cheap and seems to work. I buy mine at the local NAPA store for under $9.

Take care and ride safe eh!!:D

Back