free website stats program Black Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Black Oil

Melroy

Account Removed
Two years ago, I bought a used 93 FXDL that was regularly dealer serviced and very well taken care of. Since purchasing, I have changed the oil (HD 20-50) every 1500 miles, as whenever I check it, the oil always seems to be black. This happens within a few hundred miles of a new oil change. I change filters everytime and the bike has 48,000 miles on it. HD 20-50 is dark to begin with.......but is turning black normal?
Thanks,
Mel

melroy. every time I have ever changed oil in anything it comes out black. I think it is the impurities that the oil traps that make it change color.

melroy. every time I have ever changed oil in anything it comes out black. I think it is the impurities that the oil traps that make it change color.

Melroy, Tigg is right.

You should worry if your oil doesn't get black. It means that your engine is kept clean and all the dirt is being trapped by the oil.
In the 80's there was a warning that when filling up with fuel in France the petrol attendant would offer to check the oil. Upon checking the would pretend to panic at the sight of black oil and claim that it would damage the engine. They could change the oil on the spot for you (at a price)

It also has to do with the breakdown of viscosity, the burning off of the smaller molecules that base crude oils have (that synthetics don't have), running temp of the engine and oil additive packages. Can get very technical but as was said - nothing to sweat over.

As already stated nothing to worry about. Just proves the oil's doing it's job. As long as you continue to change the oil and filter regularly which is more important.

Most bikes will turn the oil black in a few hundred miles. Some quicker, some longer depending on the type of driving you do and the condition of the inside of the engine. The detergents in the oil will clean out any residual sludge in the motor and will come out in the oil when you change it. It's normal and not to be worried about when you do normal oil changes at the recommended intervals or even sooner.

I just changed my oil. It was very black after 2000 miles. I would say change it at least every 3k or once a year whichever is less.

Maybe a dumb question, but... Are bubbles in the oil normal? After running the engine to warm up oil, bubbles are both sitting on surface in oil tank and suspended in the oil.
Just never noticed this in any car I have ever had.

Back