Black Denim paint

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Forgetful1, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Forgetful1

Forgetful1 Member

Can some one tell me about this black denim paint?
    care and such?

in the book it said that it will fade in places like a pair of jeans if i read that right.
    if this is the case, wondering if it has on someone and what that looks like

not much info on this

thanks F1

i wrote too soon found some stuff on it but no faded like a pair of jeans pics

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
  2. M' one.

M' one. Active Member

Saw a demo bike at the dealers and the matt finish was showing signs of being slighly polished off where peoples knees had rubbed.

3. brderj

brderj Active Member

When purchasing my Crossbones I initially wanted it in denim black. The dealer told me that when you get chips in your paint from daily riding that it is much easier to "touch-up" gloss black instead of the denim black. I have no idea if he was right or wrong, just what he told me. Good luck.

4. krikket

krikket Active Member

I have an 08 with black denim and haven't noticed any fading. I also have a buddy with an 07 and no fading.

Care is pretty simple. It calls for an ammonia based cleaner, so I use windex for wipe downs. You can wash it like normal, just don't try to wax it.

People also say it shows every little fingerprint... I disagree. Anyone with a gloss black paint will attest that EVERYTHING shows. The difference is that denim paint you can't just take your sleeve any get any marks off, you'll need a cleaner. My bike had an issue with the steering head bearing leaking grease on every ride. It sucked because I would ride to my buddy's house and have grease on the front of my tank. I could wipe the grease off but there would be a spot until I got home and hit it with windex.

5. Forgetful1

Forgetful1 Member

thanks all

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Watching "Antiques Road Show" again BigLew? :bigsmiley24:

7. Riviera Reg

Riviera Reg Member

I ride an 08 Street Glide with Denim Blue paint. The Denim paint is very easy to clean / dry, just no waxing. No signs of fading after 16,000 miles. I agree with Biglew, rock chips and minor road wear is just "Patina".

8. DDogg

DDogg Junior Member

I guess that's good to hear. I bought an 08 Fat Bob with blank denium. Love the look. I figured it would fade. You guys are saying after two years or so it looks the same, that's cool. I was expecting my tank and fenders to look like my old jeans. I'll be parking my in the sun all day when I ride it to work. Think that would make a difference??