free website stats program Bill and Sharon's 2011 Roadtrip. | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bill and Sharon's 2011 Roadtrip.

Sorry for the late update, got into the motel in Alexandria, Va and had very limited ISP but to that point.
Got up Friday and headed for York and Harley Vehicle Operations, as we were leaving State College we found Iron Horse Harley Davidson out in the middle of no where. They've done it right, didn't get as many pix as we should have but if you're ever in that neck of the woods, it's a definate stopping point.
We proceeded to York to see Harley's being born but alas, as with my luck, I didn't know you needed reservations for the tour and when we got there at 1:15 the were taking no more tours for the day.
That being said, we acquired some soveniers and jumped back on the bike, I had the bright idea of taking Sharon to see Washington DC so we went straight through Maryland and into the Capital....What I learned here is that when they talk about gridlock in the capital, they may not really be talking about the government, it may be the traffic, it was HOT, HUMID and traffic wasn't moving so I wound up telling Sharon to get the shots she could cuz we were gone, we left DC and wound up in Alexandria, Va where we bedded down in Old Town Alexandria, nice area with a lot of history, but at 10:00 am this morning, so were we.
I want to take Sharon to see Williamsburg, Va for the history and it's an area she's never seen so off we were, only to find out that, apparently, the whole state of Virginia is in traffic grid lock as well, tried 95S and made about 15 miles in 3 hours, stopped and had lunch and started again, it then started raining so we pulled into a 7/11 where we were advised that 95 was that way all the way to Richmond and were advised to take Route 1 which we did only to find it was no better, about 7 miles N of Fredricksburg, Va the check engine light began flashing (Never a good sign) so we pulled off just in time for a heavy rain, after checking fluids and restarting the bike ( no light now) we proceeded to Fredricsburg, Va for the night.
I've been here many, many years ago, but coming in on the bike brought back a lot of memories of the history of this area. After a great meal at the Cajun Cafe, we've settled in for the night and hope to have better report tomorrow as the trip winds down.
Take care all, and keep the shiney side up.
Bill

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 20
Day 11
So while Saturday didn't provide pristine riding/traffic condition we got up Sunday to an overcast sky and calls for rain and thunderstorms, after looking at the radar we decided to go for it leaving Fredricksburg at about 11:00am.
Traffic was light and progress was going well for about 45 miles and then the rain came, it was light and there was an exit with a Ponderosa so we decided to have lunch and let the rain get ahead of us.
45 minutes later, well fed, we got back on the bike and proceeded with no additional rain and without incident to Williamsburg.
Got here about 1:45, got a room and proceeded to Old Williamsburg for sightseeing and relaxation.
Seeing the buildings of olden days, kinda does something in that it brought back another time when things were simpler and not so fast paced...
Anyway, I guess at some point reality has to set in, since we're not loaded (financially) and have to work for a living we're going to begin meandering back home today, about 15-18 hours out yet.
For those who have enjoyed our report, thank you and will give a final update when we arrive back home.
God Bless and take care.
Bill

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 19