free website stats program Bill and Sharon's 2011 Roadtrip. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bill and Sharon's 2011 Roadtrip.

was hearing all kinds of advertisements for Pikeville HD on the radio and was looking to speak with someone there regarding interesting spots in the area, after 20 minutes with no one acknowledging our presense we left.

Annoying when you walk into a dealership and they can't even offer the simple courtesy of saying hello:bigsmiley23:. Maybe that's why they have to advertise so much to bring people in:(.

Fantastic pics and glad to hear the better half and you are having a great ride.:small3d018:

Ride safe and enjoy every minute of it..:cheers

Loving the updates Bill! This is so much fun to read about other folks' road trips, especially while they are actually on the road. What was the name of the motel you stayed at in Maggie Valley? I am wanting to plan a trip in that area and I want to stay in a hotel/motel on on a creek like that. I remember seeing several of them many years ago when we were in that area (not on bikes), but need a recommendation. Also, was Maggie Valley dry as well (alcohol)? ....... Ride safe!:bigsmiley23:

Late update for Sunday, Day 4
Spent Saturday night at the Landmark Inn in Pikesville Ky, after the experience with the HD dealer there didn't have high expectations, that being said, they have a restaraunt that is fantastic and after a great meal we went to the bar where we met a lady by the name of Carol. Initial response was oh well, but after a few minutes of conversation she came to life and we shared a great deal of conversation, two things I'm learning during this trek through coal country, I don't think that the current adminstration should venture out on a bike trip (or campaign trip for that matter), folks around here wouldn't warm up to you know who and if you are not him and will take a few minutes to let folks get to know you they are some of the friendliest you will know, Carol eventually even shared a recipe for Corn Bread Salad, sounds interesting, will try it and if it works will share at a later date.
Got up on Sunday morning to thunderstorms in the area so we kinda putzed around til they passed, had planned to take 23S to 460E but decided to make a run for Charleston on 119, we stayed just behind, in front of and beside the rain for most of the day, never got wet but could tell that we had just missed it or was about to get it, we got to S. Charleston where the motels were, but me with my sense of common sense decided to go to the north side to avoid mornning rush hour...oh well the motels were on the south side, not also on the north. I decided to stay on 119, nice sweeping curves and passed through some very nice areas as well as some very depressed. Finally got on I79N and wound up in Bridgeport, WV where we got a room at the Best Western. We got in and went to the lounge where we met a young lady by the name of Stephanie who was watching Pawn Stars, we struck up a conversation with her and she eventually had us rolling in the floor with stories of her family to include one where she said her kinfolks were camping together when a bear got into their cooler, it angered them so much that they actually banded together and treed the bear...that's a sigh I would have loved to have seen. She also shared that when you kill a deer or bear, to avoid the gamey taste you must first utilize a tool called (I'm not joking) a butt plug to remove the glands....This is becoming a very educational experience.
Oh well, a bit long winded this morning, leaving shortly with a possible run to York, Pa to see Harleys being born.:bigsmiley23:
Take care, more to come.

Attachments

• DSCN1161.jpg
    DSCN1161.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1164.jpg
    DSCN1164.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1169.jpg
    DSCN1169.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN1174.jpg
    DSCN1174.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1184.jpg
    DSCN1184.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 39
Flipper, the motel in Maggie Valley was the Ramada Inn, it also has an indoor pool and hot tup and no, Maggie Valley isn't dry, just the reservation.
Bill

Thanks for the commentary and photos. WV is a beautiful state isn't it? Ride safe and keep those photos coming.
Ishmael

Thanks for that info on the Maggie Valley Bill. Also, that info on the "butt plug" was pretty enlightening. We've been cleaning deer without that tool all these years. Hmmmmm..... Wonder how much fool juice those kinfolk had to consume to make them think they were 10 feet tall and bear proof?????:drunk

Ok, so sometimes things don't work out as planned, got up yesterday and hit I79 N with a change of plans, the front tire pointed that way, so I guess it'll be Niagra Falls before seeing Harley's born....As we headed out I saw a sign for Garrison's Fort, thinking this might be a good side trip with photo ops, I took the exit, much to my suprise about 4 miles down the road was Garrison's fort, a small community with no fort...saw a side street going to another town, took the left and WHOA, a single lane, twist and turn, up and down narrow paved road..while only six miles and no other traffic, it made the dragon tame in comparison...Finally got back on I79 got to Washington, Pa and had lunch at the Ponderosa, great lunch, spoke with a lady from Ohio who highly recommends the maid of the mist boat ride at the falls, guess we'll see..Left with the intention of hitting 90 and heading toward Buffalo but mother nature had other ideas, rounded a curve and low and behold, a wall of water, saw an exit for Evans City and took it in hopes of finding shelter, didn't realize that it was 8 miles of (imagine this) twists and turns up and down with near 0 visablity, got to the convenience store and rode it out. Finally got back on the road and as we approached Grove City, Pa again the bottom fell out, figured twice was enough and started looking for a room, after 3 attempts was getting a little disheartend but got a room at the Micortel.
After a hot shower noticed a restaraunt "My Brother's Place" across the street and decided to have dinner...I've got to say that from the appearance of the building, I didn't have high expectation but boy were we blown away, I'm not a food critic but I do love good food and this had to be some of the best I've ever had.
Up this morning, left the window open last night, it poured and looks very nasty will have to play it by ear.
Sharon did acknowledge that after the intended side trip and the rain pull off that she has yet to have a boring day on the back and she still got some great shots. Having difficulties with photos this morning, will upload more later.

I've been following this thread along, what a fantastic journey and I know you are having a great time cause I've been to most all those places. I saw Clingman's Dome as a kid, but my wife and I were up at Pigeon Forge in 2004 and we took the trolley bus up the pass to Gatlinburg.

And yes we ate at 'No Way Jose's', they had excellent Margarittas. It didn't look like much from the outside but inside had a great atmosphere. Gatlinburg is actually very small, you can walk the whole thing. But so much to see there.

Thanks for this whole thread guys I have enjoyed it.

Back