free website stats program Biking - Hiking/Camping/Fishing Similarities | Harley Davidson Forums

Biking - Hiking/Camping/Fishing Similarities

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I was walking around in one of the mega-outdoor stores the other day (pretty sure it was a Bass Pro Shop), just killing a couple hours with no intention of buying anything. After a short while, it dawned on me how many similarities there are in the gear needed for all these activities. Both motorcycling and camping/hiking put a premium on small, lightweight, and functional items. Tiny, lightweight tents and sleeping bags work great for both. Motorcycling and fishing both occasionally require you to don something light yet waterproof - outerwear or gloves. Prices in this place were amazing! Waterproof gloves for $25. On a recent visit to a HD dealer they showed me their Gore Tex waterproof gloves for around $60. One man, super light tent for $30. Frogg Togg rain suits starting at $40.

Long story short, I may be putting a bunch of stuff from this store on my Christmas list.

only difference ----- the less expensive/just as practical items DON'T have the HD logo/bars on them!!!!!!

only difference ----- the less expensive/just as practical items DON'T have the HD logo/bars on them!!!!!!

A freind of mine thinks if something doesn't have an HD on it's not as good.
But he also thinks a cup of coffee isn't any good unless it costs 3 or 4 bucks.
I think he's a knucklehead.

Well, if that's the ONLY difference, I think I know where I'll be doing a lot of my shopping for stuff that doesn't actually bolt onto the bike.

My leathers say 'Langlitz'

My boots say 'Wesco'

My knives say 'Benchmade'

My guns say 'Colt'

And by BIKE says Harley.

I'm putting a tent and sleeping bags together for next years rides. Compact/packability and quality being my main concern. I'll also need a packable fly rod! :D

My leathers say 'Langlitz'

My boots say 'Wesco'

My knives say 'Benchmade'

My guns say 'Colt'

And by BIKE says Harley.

I'm putting a tent and sleeping bags together for next years rides. Compact/packability and quality being my main concern. I'll also need a packable fly rod! :D

Leathers = Hein Gericke :s

Knives = Browning :D, Victronox :p, Harley? :small3d031:

Guns = yes to both the 2nd & 5th Amendments (election year) :42:

Bike = HD primary & bolt on accessories :)
Metric = super sports & dirt :small3d015:

Camping gear (go to REI to sample; buy on Internet or support local retailer)

Last edited:
My leathers say 'Harley' due to negotiated 35% discount deal at time of bike purchase.
My boots say 'Harley' due to
negotiated 35% discount deal at time of bike purchase.
My knives say 'Al Mar'
My guns say 'Colt and SW'
And my bike says Harley.
And my Fly Rod is a four piece Sage 5 weight.

We are getting a Pro Bass shop here in Calgary really soon. There goes more money.

Do you pack that rod on your ride?

Yep, fits alongside on top of the saddle bag, the small round metal case it came with is only 2 ft long, waders boots and vest are in the bags. I use velcro straps to hold it on.

Back