free website stats program Biketoberfest in Daytona | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Biketoberfest in Daytona

I took up riding five years ago at age 55. I rode from California to Sturgis last year and the year before and wanted to ride to my first Bikertoberfest this year. However, none of my friends could get enough time off work and my wife said no Biketoberfest for me unless she could take some kind of Caribbean cruise. So, we flew to Florida for Bikertoberfest and then took a 5 day cruise to Grand Turk and Nassau.

We stayed in Palm Coast and we were delighted to find that Bruce Rossmyer's Daytona dealership was only a few miles down the road. (Rest in Peace, Bruce.) We spent a few hours there and then drove down Highway 1. I was amazed at number of bikes that I saw on I-95 and Highway 1. It seemed like there were more than there were at Sturgis last year and the year before but maybe that's because Sturgis is spread out over a week instead of just a couple of days. There also seemed to be a lot more sport bikes, Goldwings and other non-HD bikes than there were at Sturgis.

I made the mistake of driving down the main street in Daytona with a van. That is one narrow street compared to the main street in Sturgis. I couldn't do much walking due to a knee injury a week before we left so I found a place to park in a parking lot on one of the big streets that people use to turn onto the main street. We got a spot facing the street and spent about two hours watching all the bikes go by. Then it was back up Highway 1 to the for some time at the Broken Spoke Saloon. A great time was had by all.

Well... all I can say that the weather was perfect :)

I did ride up to Destination on Friday. I left early, 9'ish, thinking the crowd would be large. Arrived by 10:15am and parked right up front near Speed's Performance. I would agree, the number of vendors seemed low. Now, I'm wodering if the fees are going up at DD and folks are heading back to Beach Street accross from the old Daytona HD location.

Took a short ride through Ocala on Saturday. Then took the wife on a nice ride to Mt. Dora on Sunday. One day is usualy enough for me walking the streets (as I'd rather ride :) .

Ride safe and have fun out there!

Back