free website stats program bikes age | Harley Davidson Forums

bikes age

ooheritage

for general parts buying purpose, my title says 2000, down tube sticker says 7/1999, what do I order my parts under, the down tube sticker?

If in doubt use the vin #, sometimes they will change part suppliers during the year and will need a vin# and or production date.
kemo

for general parts buying purpose, my title says 2000, down tube sticker says 7/1999, what do I order my parts under, the down tube sticker?

Very important in your case, as 1999 Heritage's had Evo engines. 2000 was the first year Twin Cams were in the softail line.
Harley changes model year production sometime in late June or July. My 2007 FLHT was made in June 2007, probably one of the last.

BECAUSE I OWNED THIS YEAR BIKE, a 2000 TC that was built before dec.15 1999----MEANING it is a FIRST HALF YEAR BUILT BIKE meaning the second 1/2 year came out with the MODIFIED CAM BEARING....

DO you know IF yours HAS THE BALL STYLE BEARING IN IT or has it been changed out?
you say the date 7/1999 that means UNLESS it has been repaired or bearing replaced ,,, it is a ticking time bomb,,, regardless of miles it has on it.

HARLEY WILL repair on their $$$ if AND ONLY IF IT STARTS TO GO OUT (MAKING NOISE AT THE CAM BEARING OR BLOWS UP) regardless of how many owners or miles on bike !! 1st 2ond 3rd 4th owners etc...... But mind you ONLY when it is the OLD STYLE cam bearing GOING OUT....

HOPE you knew this or it has been replaced...

THIS IS NOT GUESS WORK BY ME AS i know it to be true....

a concerned party

signed....BUBBIE
THE extra stuff was added for ALL to read, EVERY once and a while NEW people don't KNOW this about that MODEL YEAR..... 1999/2000 pre dec 15 1999 built date.... DATE ON NECK PLATE.... AFTER dec15 1999 no problem with bearing BUT a LOT of other things JUST ASK AND I WILL TELL....

Thanks Bubbie, I would like to keep this bike, I feel in love with it the first time I saw it. I really don't know anything about the bike, and the person I got it from has a phone # change. So I plan on getting new cams anyway, would like to go to gear drive so I didn't ever have to worry about the cam tensioners again, will this take care of the problem or what else am I looking at?

Unless I'm mistaken, the date on the downtube is the date of manufacture, not the model year. Go with the model year on the title or, as kemo suggests, run the VIN number on the HD site or at a dealership and the model year should pop up.

Thanks Bubbie, I would like to keep this bike, I feel in love with it the first time I saw it. I really don't know anything about the bike, and the person I got it from has a phone # change. So I plan on getting new cams anyway, would like to go to gear drive so I didn't ever have to worry about the cam tensioners again, will this take care of the problem or what else am I looking at?

In my 2000 FXDS dyna,,,, I went with gear drives, putting over 50,000 miles on the BUILT motor and HAD NO REGRETS going with 570SS Gear cams....
LOOK under BUBBIE if you want some post about my dyna and gear drive,,, too much to REHASH again.... NICE LOOK'N BIKE..... and a KEEPER.... I put over 117000 miles and did install a 6 speed gear set... ALSO you can find information under POST n THREADS using BUBBIE

signed....BUBBIE

Back