free website stats program Biker defends himself | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Biker defends himself

This incident is of great interest to me because I routinely (legally) carry a concealed handgun for self defense. As someone mentioned there just isn't enough information to determine if he legally used deadly force. I know there are certain places where I can't carry my concealed weapon and one of them is in establishments where alcohol is served. I also know that I can't have ANY alcohol to drink while carrying. It's not like DWI where you have to be at a certain blood/alcohol level. ANY alcohol while carrying will negate the legality of you carrying the concealed handgun. This guy wasn't inside the bar and maybe he was going to secure his handgun in a lock-box on his bike before going into the bar. If any of you hear more about this please post the information here as I'm sure many of us carry concealed handguns while riding and, unfortunately, may face similiar situations.

I also know that I can't have ANY alcohol to drink while carrying.

Regardless of it is prohibited under your state law or not, it's not a good idea. It will muddy up any investigation and if it goes that far will only serve to give your defend a harder time. I've come to the point I don't drink at all when on the bike. As I carry and carried as an off shoot of employment for thirty years, it just made sense not to make my life more difficult than necessary.

In Oklahoma they have passed the "Make My Day' law. Anybody can use deadly force anytime anywhere when they are anyone else live is in danger as a result of an attack from anyone. If you see a stranger in the parking lot being attacked from thug, and you believe their life is in danger,you can legally kill the attacker. If you are in Oklahoma and want to be an idiot, you better be prepared. In other words be decent and you will be fine.

I just read the latest on this in the Tulsa newspaper. The driver and passenger followed the motorcyclist to the bar after shouting at the biker. Both men in the pickup exited their vehicle and began to assult the biker. The biker, licensed to carry, shot the driver in the chest killing him. The police took a statement from the biker and several whitnesses, and arrested the pickup passenger for public drunkeness. The biker, who was not detained, appeared to be acting in self defense and had not entered the bar.

Thanks for the update, HDDon. I'm pleased to learn that the guy using the handgun in self defense wasn't detained and that his other attacker was arrested. I do wonder how this would have played out in some of our more liberal, anti-gun, and anti-bike states.

I'm going to be watching this very closely as my application for a CCW permit is in process. This is the type of incident ( ticked off for no reason, drunken morons) that I want to carry for.

In Oklahoma they have passed the "Make My Day' law. Anybody can use deadly force anytime anywhere when they are anyone else live is in danger as a result of an attack from anyone. If you see a stranger in the parking lot being attacked from thug, and you believe their life is in danger,you can legally kill the attacker. If you are in Oklahoma and want to be an idiot, you better be prepared. In other words be decent and you will be fine.

Before applying for a CCW I studied the law (Sec. 21, Crimes and Punishments) word by word. The law leaves a big gray area concerning entering a situation to save someone else. The law says that you yourself have to feel you are in mortal danger in order to use deadly force. My heart would tell me to jump in and save the stranger but my mind would be wondering how witnesses would see it. I don't know what I'd do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be watching this very closely as my application for a CCW permit is in process. This is the type of incident ( ticked off for no reason, drunken morons) that I want to carry for.

Before applying for a CCW I studied the law (Sec. 21, Crimes and Punishments) word by word. The law leaves a big gray area concerning entering a situation to save someone else. The law says that you yourself have to feel you are in mortal danger in order to use deadly force. My heart would tell me to jump in and save the stranger but my mind would be wondering how witnesses would see it. I don't know what I'd do.

Very true. I would like to think in a unwanted situation, if a person was to pull a weapon and tell the attacker to stop, they would without having to discharge any rounds. If not then the situation would make its own course. I would have a hard time watching a thug beat on a person without doing something. Hope I never have to find out.

Back