free website stats program Bike won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike won't start

raybnxny

Bike won't start. Here is what I have tried
I have new batteries in FOB and bike. Security lock flashes.When I turn switch to ignition nothing happens. No lights!!! Doesn't recognize FOB. Will not allow me to input over ride code. If I press button on side of speedometer I get the total miles on bike and clock. That is all the response I get. Tried everything. Ready to have it towed to mechanic. Any suggestions? 2008 Softail Deluxe.

Tried the sequence but o dashes appear. New FOB batterys installed and stil no good.
Any suggestions? My bike is dead. Good batery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike won't start. Here is what I have tried
I have new batteries in FOB and bike. Security lock flashes.When I turn switch to ignition nothing happens. No lights!!! Doesn't recognize FOB. Will not allow me to input over ride code. If I press button on side of speedometer I get the total miles on bike and clock. That is all the response I get. Tried everything. Ready to have it towed to mechanic. Any suggestions? 2008 Softail Deluxe.

Alarms and Security Related Issues - Harley Davidson Community Start reading here, Welcome to The Forum Your Fob may need to go thru a relearn

When I turn switch to ignition nothing happens. No lights!!! Doesn't recognize FOB.

The light have nothing to do with FOB security. You need to get the lights to come on 1st. Check fuses with a meter. It could be a bad ignition switch or blown fuse.

The light have nothing to do with FOB security. You need to get the lights to come on 1st. Check fuses with a meter. It could be a bad ignition switch or blown fuse.
All fuses are good. This happened before. Would not start same condition. Then all of a sudden it started and was fine ever since. Could duplicate. It may wel be an intermittent ignition switch. Do't know how else to test before towing it to my mechanic.

The fuses have access holes on each side for testing while installed.. With the ignition switch turned ON, do you read 12 volts on each side of the "ignition" fuse.

The fuses have access holes on each side for testing while installed.. With the ignition switch turned ON, do you read 12 volts on each side of the "ignition" fuse.
Yes 12 volts. Just noticed.....I left the FOB in the house and tried proping p the bike and starting it and the lights flashed as if no FOB present.

Does it make any sense to completely disconnect the Bikes 12 V battery, wait about ten minutes, then reconnect? Kind of like a "Re-Boot"?

Bob

Yes 12 volts. Just noticed.....I left the FOB in the house and tried proping p the bike and starting it and the lights flashed as if no FOB present.
My bad No 12 volts on each side of ignition fuse.

Does it make any sense to completely disconnect the Bikes 12 V battery, wait about ten minutes, then reconnect? Kind of like a "Re-Boot"?

Bob
Tried that. Tok battery to Auto Zone for testing. Battery checks out god.

My bad No 12 volts on each side of ignition fuse.

With the ignition switch ON,
1) you do not have 12 volts on either side of the ignition fuse
2) you have 12 volts across the battery
3) the Maxi fuse (or main breaker) is good

Most likely reason is the ignition switch is bad.
I don't have the schematic in front of me but I think by 2006, HD was using Maxi fuses and not circuit breakers

With the ignition switch ON,
1) you do not have 12 volts on either side of the ignition fuse
2) you have 12 volts across the battery
3) the Maxi fuse (or main breaker) is good

Most likely reason is the ignition switch is bad.
I don't have the schematic in front of me but I think by 2006, HD was using Maxi fuses and not circuit breakers
I will check o all those items and will update as to what was the problem. Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated. Ride Safe.

Back