free website stats program Bike won't start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike won't start

The original owner who put on the pipes and new air filter was a mechanic at a Harley dealership, so I'm guessing he correctly adjusted the carb with new jets or whatever else was required.

I've owned the bike for well over a year. Until this week, I never had a problem starting it. So, it's not just a matter of getting to know the quirks of the bike; something changed.

I have a friend who can help me next weekend. We'll pull the bike apart a bit and figure out what's going on.

Consensus here seems to be that it's a fuel mix issue, so we'll start there. And Jack's link with the carb info seems very helpful.

Thanks.

With everything that has been mentioned here. I would not assume that the jetting was done correctly regardless of where the previous owner worked. One thing is for sure is that something changed recently.
You may want to open up the carb and verify things were done right.

How about the outside temps or the fuel you got, did the problem start after fueling up? Different gas station than previously used?

If so it may be time to clean out the tank and carb.

IF just starting like you said, I would NOT rule out a intake Manifold Leak.

I HAVE had that happen to me Intake Leak and the same LEAN, Hard Starting symptoms...
Hey we've suggested enough but One More Thing.... The Muffler Bearings....:D

signed....BUBBIE

I _finally_ found and fixed the problem.

Thought I'd share it in case anyone else ever has similar problems.

A connector on the ignition coil got rusted. It was causing problems with the bike running poorly, and on rare occasion not even starting. I found the problem, scrubbed off the rust, added some electrolytic grease to hopefully prevent it from rusting again, and now the bike is running great.

Cheers everyone.

Back