free website stats program Bike won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike won't start

Mavagrand

After washing my bike (08 FLHTC completely stock except for a set of XIEDs) last night, I couldn't get her to start. I had the fob in my pocket (the smart fob, no buttons for me) but the bike acted like there was no fob present. Thinking the battery in my fob must be weak I went and got my back up fob...same thing. Now I know the batteries in both fobs are about three years old but what are the odds both would need replacing at the same time? This is the first time my bike has done this, I can only assume and hope that both fobs need new batteries. By the way, I programmed my manual code and she fired right up so..I think it is the batteries in my fobs..I hope it is anyway as I do not have an extended warranty. has anyone else had this happen? was it the fobs? If not, any ideas what it might be? thanx.

Mark

Those Fobs have a very short range especially if the antenna on the TSSM (hands free) gets wet. Sometimes my Fobs won't "hook up" and the alarm will go off when I move the bike with the Fob present.

The signal (code) coming out of the Fob can be present, but the amplitude is just not great enough to override a parking position that happens to be a RF hot spot for code disruption or if antenna sensitivity is reduced from being wet. Install new Fob batteries. It can help increase your chances of hooking up.

I would have taken the fob and placed it on the seat near the TSSM, it may have grabbed the signal. You did not say where the bike was parked. Was it a common spot you always use. HD recommends moving the bike 10-15 feet if the Fob does not respond.

I think in your case it was combination of batteries and a wet antenna.

Thanx, Hoop.

The bike was parked where I always wash it..in the back yard. It is possible the antenna got wet. I think your right it is probably a combination of the wet antenna and weak fob batteries. I'll pick up new batteries today. thanx for the quick response.

Changed the battery, she fired right up. Looked so good sitting there idling, I decided to clean her up some so gave her a good waxing. Planning a ride to Sarasota next weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's possible both Fob batteries went dead at the same time because they were both put in at the same time, when the bike was new.

yea, geez, thats what I think too. changed both fob batteries today so hopefully have it fixed. comforting to know if it happens again I can start her with the manual code.

yea, geez, thats what I think too. changed both fob batteries today so hopefully have it fixed. comforting to know if it happens again I can start her with the manual code.

A little late I know, but just for curiosity, if you have the old batteries, measure the voltage and compare to nominal voltage marked on the outside.

I change the FOB batteries every year. Just changed them last week. It would really stink to be on the road and have them go dead. Can be bypassed of course, but thats just one more thing to add to the list of things that really cause an over torque in me. Think I got that idea from Glider.

Changing them every year may be a bit often. I use my bike as my daily driver, but I use button fobs and took 3 years before just changing them out as a precaution only. The car fobs are going on 7 years and had to change one for my gals' (also a button type fob). Might have to wait for guys who use newer Buttonless Fobs to get a handle on battery life. May try Smitty or one of the others who use their bikes a lot with the Buttonless type to get a feel for this.

My fob battery went bad while sitting in a construction zone, stopped traffic. Turned the bike off as we were going to be delayed a while. Went to start up and nothing... Keyed in my code after pushing bike off to the side and away we went. I think those batteries have to be in top condition because of the antenna design, placement because new battery made it work and old battery worked fine in another application. Could even be that the contacts get oxidized and simply replacing a battery establishes a better contact. By the way, HD manual suggests moving bike 10 or 15 ft, thats real fun with the siren blasting your ears off.

Back