free website stats program Bike won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike won't start

Fatb03

I have a 2003 Fatboy with a stage one kit. I was having problems last year starting it up. I would get clunking now and then and sometimes it sounded like the starter might have been grinding. I thought it might not be getting enough power so I replaced the battery last week. It tried turning over a couple of times but now it just whine :newsmile08: due to it not engaging. I saw a post in regards to the SE Compensator kit. Would that work for my bike? Does any one have any other suggestions.

Thanks

Your problem sounds more like the starter drive than the compensator. I would also check the teeth on the clutch basket for missing or broken teeth.

I have a 2003 Fatboy with a stage one kit. I was having problems last year starting it up. I would get clunking now and then and sometimes it sounded like the starter might have been grinding. I thought it might not be getting enough power so I replaced the battery last week. It tried turning over a couple of times but now it just whine :newsmile08: due to it not engaging. I saw a post in regards to the SE Compensator kit. Would that work for my bike? Does any one have any other suggestions.

Thanks

I think the SE Compensator kit is only for 07 and newer but not sure, maybe someone else on here does?

sounds more like your starter drive, had the same problem with my Evo lowrider, Man from this site pointed me at the starter drive, replaced drive unit (£65) worked a treat

Before you go ordering parts i'd have a look inside your primary. When you take the cover off be sure to inspect the cover itself as thats where the starter gear is held when it enguages. WARNING - Disconnect the battery! The reason i say this is if you pull at all on the starter gear it will enguage and start turning.
But yea, check out the primary cover for excessive wear, dirt or metal shavings, and the gears for any wear. Before reinstalling the primary cover i always put a little grease in the cutout of the primary cover that holds the recieving end of the starter gear. There might be a difference in the TC engines, most of the stuff i work on is EVO or older.

If you TRY THIS it may tell you the problem.....

WHEN it WON'T crank over........ and just makes the WERRRRRR sound... PUT into 2 ond gear, push bike forward a little, MOVING the engine forward...

THIS moves the CLUTCH BASKET RING GEAR and if this being the problem(missing tooth or so) the starter drive WILL contact the ring starter gear....

Put back to neutral and crank engine over... IF it cranks it IS THE clutch ring gear.....

Just like Glider said ....BUT now you know if THIS is the problem of ONE OR THE OTHER...

If THIS doesn't TURN engine over THEN it is probably the starter drive clutch....

MY problem was MISSING teeth....... THEN on the NEXT TIME went the clutch drive (starter drive) from the KICK-BACKS of PRIOR tries at starting....If this sounds like your bike it more than likely the same problem.

signed....BUBBIE

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO MENTION:::::

If you find it to be the little CLUTCH drive starter gear, (my first choice),(small clutch drive on starter shaft)

PLEASE,,,, please DON"T buy a cheap after-market one as I HAVE in the past and it needed changing in a month....... I had the BEST LUCK with the STOCK HARLEY REPLACEMENT ONES......

save your self lots of RE-work and IF it is the RING GEAR on the clutch basket ,,,,,,, REPLACE the starter CLUTCH GEAR ALSO while apart as it MAY have been stressed...

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Bubbie has you covered regarding just what is going on BEFORE you have to dig in. Pulling the primary cover (invasive exporitory surgery in my book, which in my opinion is for final diagnosis...before replacing what is wrong with starting system.

And do make sure you get the latest starter clutch if that is what you find, my HD one went to 4 revision changes (no rev to rev C) with all the previous revs available on line for various reduced prices. A lot of behind the scenes R&D go on after your ride is built by MOCO.

Back