free website stats program Bike won't start without throttle then runs really rough/no power | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike won't start without throttle then runs really rough/no power

AdamControl

Hey guys! Just got a quick question and I searched and haven't found anything similar to my problem so I'm turning to you guys.

Not all that versed in Harleys but I got a rat bike I put together. It has a stiock 99 Sportster 1200 Evo. CV carb. Bike ran perfectly for a few years since I put it in the bike and regular maintenance done.
No, however, it won't start without giving it throttle otherwise it floods really fast. When it starts it runs and rides really rough with no power and again, cuts out when I let go of the throttle. I did disasseble the carb and dunk it in cleaner (first time doing it and was kinda expecting to mess it up) but the problem is still exactly the same. Plugs look good also. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to The Forum. Have you put any NEW parts in the carb after cleaning it?

Thank you. No, just a new fuel inlet.

I did notice some oxidization on the accelerator pump diaphragm.....maybe I should get a rebuild kit and try again you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you need to get a rebuild kit for the carb. The E10 gas eats the rubber parts up.

I have not done a compression test. Not sure how.

Sorry, just saw that break down, thanks for that! I will look through it......just ordered a rebuild kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
And always put the plugs back on the ends of the wires and ground them to avoid damaging the coil and/or ignition.
WAP.gif

Back