free website stats program Bike won't idle when it warms up | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike won't idle when it warms up

OK as you can see I am new here but I have a problem that I haven't been able to figure out.

I have over 50,000 miles on my 2004 FXDI Super Glide. I have a problem when it warms up it doesn't want to idle. It also pops and backfires when I let off on the gas. It only does this when it warms up. So any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Cowboy

I am no Harley mechanic,but I do know that when the people that can help you come back on they will want a bit more information.Is it stock? If not what upgrades? and what tuner if any

Good looking out Steve.

has Screaming Eagle slip ons and K&N filter. Just installed a Harley Oil Cooler.

udder than that yup she's stock.:s

Sounds to me like she may be running lean...possibly obstruction in fuel tank inlet filter, possibly picked up some bad gas. What were the circumstances leading up to this problem. May also want to check condition of plugs and look back in your maintenance history for background.

Sounds to me like she may be running lean...possibly obstruction in fuel tank inlet filter, possibly picked up some bad gas. What were the circumstances leading up to this problem. May also want to check condition of plugs and look back in your maintenance history for background.

Would that cause it to stop idling when it warms up? I will pull the plugs tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
If this is something that developed without any changes to the bike, you might want to check for a vacuum leak at the intake area. That would explain the symptoms. Good luck!

OK I made the post late last night so let me add some additional Information. This occurred after I put on the oil cooler. But this happened once before about 5 months ago and about 7,000 miles ago. It seemed like bad gas and I had just filled up at an unknown or never used by me source so I figured it could be bad gas and that was the cheapest fix so I emptied the tank as best I could and put fresh gas from a known source. It still acted up for 3 separate times and approx 45 miles then it was fine so I figured it was bad gas. Guess I should empty the tank again and see if that works but I was/am concerned that there maybe another problem that needs addressing.

If this jars any ideas please post while I go and pull spark plugs and look at them.

Thanks
Cowboy

Pull the tank and drain and flush it out. This way you know where you have been and can go further from there if needed. It really doesn't pay to second guess a problem.

Pull the tank and drain and flush it out. This way you know where you have been and can go further from there if needed. It really doesn't pay to second guess a problem.

The filter is in the tank. Should I change the filter while I have the tank off? Anything else on/in the tank that should be looked at or replaced?

Thanks again for all the help!:D

Cowboy

With over 50K total miles on the filter, It wouldn't hurt anything to change it while you are at it. Make sure to replace any bolts that you remove to access the filter with new ones, they have a sealer on them to prevent leaking.

Back