free website stats program Bike Week | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Week

Being a local, I don't go to Bike Week... I stop going 9 or 10 years ago when the 4 idiots from Idaho, riding customs, crossed 4 lanes of traffic coming out Hooters (on Internal Speedway Blvd), cut me and the wife off, and made a u-turn to go back toward the Beach...

WAAAAAYYYYY to many folks come here that have not ridden in a long time (winter months)... And I think that causes a disconnect between their brain and right hand. It seems that cabin fever drives a lot of folks down for March bike week. Too little riding, too much beer and not enough common sense is why a lot of locals are glad to see the crowds down for bike week....

The city of Daytona is more interested in being a "family vacation spot". They have driven the spring breaker out. And have set their sites on the bike crowd.

That's why destination Daytona is not in daytona.... The owner of Dest Daytona is also the owner Daytona HD. He wanted to buy the land across from the shop, the city said NO. He asked if he could continue to rent it Bike Week. The city said no and built the threater (Arts Center) that''s there now...

That's part of what's going on... Bike week is spreading to Orlando and areas North and South of Daytona and that means more winter rebels without a clue speeding thru our neighborhoods with loud pipes at all hours of the day and night. And yes, that includes blowing off the school zone signs, passing in the breakdown lane and splitting lanes.

The city's price for vendor licenses has gone thru the roof.... they have made it clear that bike week is not all that important to them. Part of that is from the citizens. they don't want the noise, they don't want the traffic, they don't want people parking in their driveways and on their lawns. They don't want guys taking leaks on the side of their houses. They are basically tired of it. It was different 15 years ago. The bikers seemed to care about their conduct and tired not to upset the locals.

We live in Florida for the winter weather. And unfortunately what comes with it is voiced in my location tag....

how do you think the locals in the small town of Sturgis feel? especially the renters that get booted from their home for a month so the landlord can rent the place to a tourist and make the big bucks.:bigsmiley19:

Hey Mihdrider I went last year biketoberfest had a great time. Not going to it this year but am making a run to orlando, leaving 10/11. Sometime in March 09 my brother and I (wifes too) are making that run to the keys. Oh we are both org. from Bay City area. Safe riding...

Back