free website stats program Bike Upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Upgrade

ngjandm

Hey ya'll,
well, I don't know how you moderators and others have the time to follow ALL the posts that go on in the different bike categories. I have only been tracking the Sportster theads. But anyway, I plan on upgrading in the next couple of months. Going to test ride the 2010 FatBoy Low, so it's between that and a street glide. For now I will keep the sporty, so hopefully I'll have time to continue tracking the sporty happenings. :cheers

Fatboy Low is cool, but I personally like the Streetglide, kinda got that low mean look, of course, I am partial to baggers also, but both good choices.

Glad to see you're taking the right measure to test ride these bikes. Good move when investing ~$20K on future enjoyment. As others state - two different ride styles & both are great choices. Looked at the Fatboy Lo & SG; ended up choosing a 09 SG b/c of the deal & features. Go, ride & pick the best bike that fits your style...Good Luck.

I went from a 1200 XLC to an EG and haven't looked back (figuratively speaking). The touring bikes get my vote because of ABS. :)

As Smit & Rich said, could do worse, personally do not see a downside if the price, fit and opportunity line up...! Smiles per mile quotient went way up with the Sporty, can't imagine topping that...but always have an open mind! :bigsmiley24:

First of all - hello from Woodstock, just west of you down highway 92!

As far as your upgrade, as previous posters have pointed out, the main challenge is to honestly assess what kind of rider you are and plan to be. If you have any plans to do a lot of 2 up riding or touring, the Street Glide would be my choice. It was totally designed for this type of riding. Probably have to change out the seat and windshield but then you'd be good to go.

The Fat Boy Low would be perfect if you do mostly local riding and don't plan on many overnight trips. Doesn't look like it would need a lot of mods to be a perfect cruising bike either.

Confusing part is that any Harley can functionally be adapted to fill the role of another model/family. In other words you could add bags and a shield to the Fat Boy and make yourself a "touring" bike. However, each bike within a family is designed to fill a certain role and they will excel at that role with minimal mods and expense. Does that make any sense? I guess what I'm saying is if you're mainly a cruiser, get a cruising bike. If you're a nomad that likes to wander or travel to a variety of rallies and such, get a touring bike.

thanks for all the comments. its a good thing to be able to have to choose. i just sat on the fb-low today, perfect size for me, able to put both feet flat. for local cruising, i will be keeping the sporty, so I can plan for future excursions by maybe going with the sg. though, i think i would be fine moding the fb, and still take longer cruises on it, since i commute my 7 miles to work as well. choices, choices. still planning for the test drives. probably be somewhere withing 2-3 months I will make my choice.

If keeping the Sporty, I would suggest a wider separation of purpose/application to make sure you cover all your riding needs. RichardS made a comment about his like for "Big Bore" bikes, so a bagger would fit that niche quite well, depending on how long tours you intend to go and how willing your pillion partner is willing to put up with uh...Half...! :lolrolling

If keeping the Sporty, I would suggest a wider separation of purpose/application to make sure you cover all your riding needs. RichardS made a comment about his like for "Big Bore" bikes, so a bagger would fit that niche quite well, depending on how long tours you intend to go and how willing your pillion partner is willing to put up with uh...Half...! :lolrolling

good point, though that 2010 fat boy in my eyes is very sweet. I'm looking up on the internet now, the differences between, say a road glide, street glide, etc, but I would be afraid like a regular fatboy, I can barely wrap my legs around and plant both feet, and that would make me feel uncomfortable.

Great time to but a new bike good luck on your new bike be fair and ride em all and get the feel for the one u want

Back