free website stats program Bike turns off like a light on the road | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike turns off like a light on the road

I have a 2000 Heratige that will shut off like a light at times on the road. The battery is still holding 12 volts and is about 3 years old and I dont beleive it is vapor lock or a fuel problem. It has 30k on it and is up on all scheduled services. I dont want to take it to the dealer for somethig minor. I am going to have the battery load tested then after that I am at a loss. Can anyone help.

might be the short stop, its a thermal cut out n should be in behind the splash guard under the fender. try that, also ive seen bikes cut out cos the stator or reg failed, the battery was over 12 volts n started the bike but would cut out but straight away start when you hit the button, check the acV output of the stator, should be 32-40 acV at 2000rpm and check the charge voltage at the battery.

When it shuts off, is everything off (lights, etc.)? If so, I would suggest changing the main breaker. If it is a 40 amp, you may want to check the upgrade to see if that is supposed to be upgraded to a 50.

TQ

When the bike turns off, sometimes it helps to know what DOES work...to help you zero in on the problem...i.e. if your turn signals and headlamp are still working then it is likely the security system (TSSM) is working OK, so you can concentrate on IGNITION and FUEL issues. If starter and solenoid engage and turn over the engine briskly, but it still does not start...the primary electrical system is likely okay.

Here is where you are at a crossroads in your troubleshooting: 1) Check fuses and controls like the kill switch, 2.) When you shutoff ignition and turn back on, do you hear the EFI "buzz/bump" indicating fuel pump is working, 3) If carbureted, do you hear, smell or see fuel squirt down the throat of the carb when twisting the throttle (my Sporty has an accelerator pump), 4) pull the spark plugs and check for smell of unburnt raw fuel, if none the bike is not getting fuel or obstruction...BUT...5) Confirm your IGNITION (HV secondary) is working by pulling one of the sparkplug boots, sticking a screwdriver into one of them and lay (or tape) near an exposed aluminum fin at the cylinder head, close to the gap 0.035" plug gap (or double matchbook cover or thickness of a dime) and check for crisp blue spark, check the other plug/cylinder as well, but if one is dead the other is dead also otherwise your bike would be running on one cylinder which again would be a helpful clue.

Now from the above tests you should have a pretty good idea what is stealing your "thunder". BTW this is your very basic "Road Side" or Shade tree test procedure; if at home, you have your manual, tools and DMM (Digital Multi-Meter) to speed and hone your troubleshooting craft skills and luxury to go to your nearby HD dealer for help.

Last edited:
make sure your battery cables are on tight,had some similar issue, when i sat on bike it would start and turn off checked cable they were loose.

Ok here is what I have done so far. I have replaced the regulator behind the splash guard. The one where there are two yellow wires on the top silver plug and one red whire on the bottom copper plug. So far I have not had any problems with it. I also repalced the ignition fuse and the one that makes your blinkers or bike shut off if the lean angle becomes to great. I just replaced everything behind the splash gurad that I could since I had access to it. Next I was told by an HD preson to replace the crank positioning censor. That could also make it shut down for no reason especially when it gets hot. Ok all thanks again for all your imput and help.

Sean

was wondering if that fixed your problem, i'm fighting a similar prob on my 2001 injected heritage. I'm getting a 99 code which is incorrect password which would suggest a bad tssm, however, when bike dies, EVERYTHING dies, lights, blinkers, dash, odometer, horn, everything, which would point to the main breaker. What should i do???????????????????

Back