free website stats program Bike transport (rental) | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike transport (rental)

flipper

Account Removed
I couldn't find this topic in a search, but has anyone used U Haul to haul a bike before? If so, what type/size did you rent (enclosed/open/single or dual Axel, etc.)? Any other rental company? We are leaving tomorrow afternoon from central MS to go to central TX to get a Fatboy. We have to be back by Friday night, so that's not leaving much time to prepare. Any advice is appreciated.
WAP.gif

I couldn't find this topic in a search, but has anyone used U Haul to haul a bike before? If so, what type/size did you rent (enclosed/open/single or dual Axel, etc.)? Any other rental company? We are leaving tomorrow afternoon from central MS to go to central TX to get a Fatboy. We have to be back by Friday night, so that's not leaving much time to prepare. Any advice is appreciated.
WAP.gif

i have used U Haul. to go from Houston to Shreveport, they give you 3 days and it cost me about 65$. it was an open trailer and i had no problem with it. bring your own tie downs as they do not have any for bikes

For motorcycles they have a motorcycle trailers too that has a wheel chock in it as well, only $15 a day. They are open of course, if you get an enclose one you would want your own wheel chock.

A friend of mine had a problem with his bike and rented an enclosed UHall truck to get it/him home. He was about 2.5 freeway hours away. He carefully tied the bike (upright) to the side and front waist-high rails inside the truck. The rental people said the rails couldn't possibly break or come loose. When he got home, he found the bike on its side, the rails pulled out of the truck wall, and evidence the bike had been sliding around the back of the truck.
So, be careful.

I've rented the open UHaul motorcycle trailer with the wheel chock. Picked it up on a Friday morning and returned Sunday morning for about $35. Carried a 2010 Ultra Limited over 600 miles round trip for about $35. It pulled well and had rings in the floor in the four corners to attach tie downs. Recommend you use at least three tie downs, one on each side of the handle bars and at least one looped around the rear wheel and attached at the two back corners to keep the rear wheel from hopping around. Call ahead to reserve this trailer as my local dealer only had the one available.

I've rented the open UHaul motorcycle trailer with the wheel chock. Picked it up on a Friday morning and returned Sunday morning for about $35. Carried a 2010 Ultra Limited over 600 miles round trip for about $35. It pulled well and had rings in the floor in the four corners to attach tie downs. Recommend you use at least three tie downs, one on each side of the handle bars and at least one looped around the rear wheel and attached at the two back corners to keep the rear wheel from hopping around. Call ahead to reserve this trailer as my local dealer only had the one available.

good point if you do rent a U Haul tell them that it is for around town and the price is 1/2. if you pick it up in one town and drop it in another (as i did) it is about double

Last edited:
I rented the small enclosed Uhaul trailer (5 x 8 I think?) to tow my Fatboy to Colorado and back a few summers ago. It had tie down rings on the floor that worked great. When I called Uhaul, I just figured I'd rent the open air bike trailer, but the local rental guy suggested the enclosed trailer. Can't rembember the price, but it was a pretty reasonable daily rate. You will need a small ramp to get the bike into the cargo trailer as it does not have a fold down ramp/door.

WAP.gif

too bad your not going from Houston and back i have a 12x6 enclosed that i use to haul my bikes to work that is just sitting right now

Thanks for the responses/offers! We did rent a U Haul with wheel chock built in and it worked great. Fish tailed a little if we got too fast, but that was a reminder not to get careless. The folks where we picked the trailer up, North Main Care Car in Boerne, TX, dented my brand new Tacoma with the trailer, but their insurance will cover that. That all being said, we got the Fatboy home safely. It's a 2011, but pre-owned. Has all kinds of chrome and stuff like footboards, shifter pegs, brake pedal, grips, luggage rack, forks, switches and housings, derby/air/timer covers, Rush slip ons, saddle bags, windshield (detachable)........ 2700 miles on it. Great folks at Javelina HD!

flipper-albums-2011+highlights-picture7250-this_2011_pre_owned_harley_was_purchased_at_javelina_hd_in_boerne_tx.jpg

Great to hear everything worked out for you and congratulations on the new ride. Nice looking scoot.

Inquiring minds want to know.....what was their daily rate, in case there's ever a need in the near future?

Back