free website stats program Bike tracks to the left. | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike tracks to the left.

mydeluxe

I bought a 07 Super Glide Custom (FXDC) at a good price at auction. Not sure if I’m going to keep it our sale this summer. Problem is the bike tracks to the left just slightly. After a little research on this forum about wheel adjustment I have some questions.

1.I have about 1/16 inch (more like 1/32) difference on one side and the belt hugs the outer lip of the pulley. Is this the adjustment I need to make?

2. Or would I be better off adjusting the stabilizer link a little to get the bike to track better?

Thanks MD

The centerline of the rear tire and the centerline of the front tire must be 1. In order to do that, perform rear tire alignment first.
The link is done after.

When you say it tracks to left, you don't mean when you hold the bars straight ahead, the bike will go to the left? The bike actually pulls to the left on it's own regardless of road crown or if your riding hands free?

The book calls for an acceptable rear wheel axle error of .035" (axle shift not tire shift), but to me that is too much. Does your ride have the hollow rear axle along with the two 1/8" alinement holes on the swing about 4" to the front of the rear axle?
From the factory mine was off a good .030" (of axle shift) which translates to about .200" at the leading tire edge. Pulled it in to a much tighter value & bike now tracks like an arrow.

When you say it tracks to left, you don't mean when you hold the bars straight ahead, the bike will go to the left? The bike actually pulls to the left on it's own regardless of road crown or if your riding hands free?.

Thanks Hoople, And yes at hands free the bike tracks to the left just slightly.
And my rear axle is not hollow, with the alinement holes on the swing. I think I'm going to pulled it in tighter to help out on the tracking this afternoon, I will let you know how it goes...

Try to get your rear axle alignment dead on first. Manual says 1/32 inch is acceptable. Then if you don't have an aluminum straight edge or 8ft bulb you can get an 8ft 2x4 and nail a couple of wood blocks on each end, then put a nail in each end and pull some heavy duty mason's twine from nail to nail tight. You will need to either put your bike on short lift or get someone to sit on it with it straight up.

Push the string line up next to the wheels. The rear wheel edge is not directly behind the front on most models so you will have different measurements on rear as opposed to the front. But if you can get it to where you have equal measurements on the forward and rearward edges of the rear tire and same scenario on front tire, then it's straight. Otherwise it will show how much it's out. You may have to try a few times to make sure you have the front tire exactly straight.

The alignment mount on the top of the engine only sets the tilt of the back wheel, not the left/right adjustment. If you want to do that, you will need an inclinometer. Under $10 at Harbor Freight. It has a magnet that you can stick to the front and rear brake disk. Just make sure you view the inclinometer from the same direction on both wheels or you could end up reading 99 degrees one way and 1 degree the other making you think you were 2 degrees out when you were dead on. Remember on that the key is to get them to match. What you read on the front will depend on your bike lift and the floor (it may not be 0). Again the front has to be pointed straight to the front.

Does your bike have dual or single disk brakes up front? If it is single and the caliper is on the left, this will cause the bike to pull to the left slightly.

If what I’m doing here in the pictures is correct, then the front of the rear tire points out to the East a little… Question is if the tire points out to the right, then why does the bike drift to the left slightly when I go hands free? The single caliper on the left???

Attachments

• DSC07486.jpg
    DSC07486.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC07487.jpg
    DSC07487.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC07488.jpg
    DSC07488.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 128
Imagine a dotted centerline through the frame front to rear. If the front of the rear tire points to the right, it drives the "frame line" or thrust line to the left because the bike is rear wheel drive. When that happens you will need to turn the bars to the right in order to go straight..

I was not able to see your 3 pictures until now because of the computer I was on at the time.
After seeing the pictures I am now confused.

You said the front of rear tire points EAST but at the same time you say "Question is if the tire points out to the right".
To me that is a contradiction. (?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoople, Sorry for the confusion. I hope the drawing I added helps.

Also last night I got the rear tire lined up. Will take it for a ride today weather permitting.

Attachments

• FXDC.bmp
    599 KB · Views: 91
Back