free website stats program Bike to bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike to bike

Re: Bike Communications and Electronics

You're right. Here's the FCC version of the licensing requirements:

The FRS 0.5 watts should be enough to communicate a mile or two in a line-of-sight type environment. But I'm sure the manufacturers market them as "dual-use" which probably shields them from any recourse by claiming the customer is responsible for any licensing requirements if operated in the GMRS range...

They call the people who operate the dual use radios on gmrs without a license "bubble pack pirates" . LOL
The frs will probably be good for what you want to do but there is one more concern, frs is at times a little more crowded than GMRS I guess due to not needing a license.

What they found out is they were never more than about 200 feet apart when they used the radios, so it was not a problem....

Does the BlueAnt system 'disconnect' from the other once you're out of range? Does it then have to be 'reconnected' by manual means (pushing the button)?

The other guy I ride with has a problem with speed control periodically. That is when I ride lead, he drifts back quite a ways as I maintain speed and he 'catches-up.' I'd be a pain to have to start slapping buttons to first connect, then when that's all done, forget what you wanted to say (I have a short attention span)...

Wow, I may have to take my ham equipment off the bike, sure miss my rapid key though for you others hams out there: _._ _._ _ _ ...._ ._ _ _ _ _ that's me.

Wow, I may have to take my ham equipment off the bike, sure miss my rapid key though for you others hams out there: _._ _._ _ _ ...._ ._ _ _ _ _ that's me.

VHF/UHF and no place for key . What is morse code? Is that like in the same category as vinyl records and 8 tracks? I like the blue ant idea and might have to get a set. I have been trying out the over priced hd headsets for driver to passenger but the bluetooth definately gives you more options. :breakdance I just wonder how hard it would be to connect to a few different bikes at the same time? Can it do group talking like frs/gmrs?

I think this is where the limitation is for BlueAnt.

From their FAQ:

14. Can I connect more than 2 Interphones together for intercom mode?

No. The Interphone will only allow connection to 1 other Interphone for intercom mode.

So, I can connect rider to passenger or bike-to-bike, but we can't all connect at once for "group mode."

I didn't realize where you were from. I was in Kentucky a week ago for my boy's graduation from basic and I had my Ham equipment with me but I guess my mind was preoccupied with other "stuff"....I am clueless when it comes to morse code but I am November 3 Sierra Gulf Whiskey

I am looking at new Yaesu FTM-10 for the Ultra. Looks like a nice radio in a small package. I want to do more research first.:bigsmiley6:

I didn't realize where you were from. I was in Kentucky a week ago for my boy's graduation from basic and I had my Ham equipment with me but I guess my mind was preoccupied with other "stuff"....I am clueless when it comes to morse code but I am November 3 Sierra Gulf Whiskey

I am looking at new Yaesu FTM-10 for the Ultra. Looks like a nice radio in a small package. I want to do more research first.:bigsmiley6:

KC4WDO here. That Yaesu FTM is some high tech stuff, good radio. I like to run code once in a while off an old small 4watt Heathkit and inverted y, I work the world on that baby in the wee hours. If you get it, you'll like that Yaesu.

Sorry to bring this post back to the original topic, but it is of interest to me.:hii

Has anyone tried the Scala Rider?

This is their claim.
The SCALA RIDER Q2 is the latest and greatest among the SCALA RIDER™ line of Bluetooth® helmet mounted headsets. This technological gem allows bikers to receive GPS voice instructions, communicate with the passenger on the back seat, to conduct calls on their mobile phone and listen to the embedded FM radio. Last but not least, the Q2 offers biker-to-biker communication.

Scala Rider website.

I have the Scala Rider headset that came with my Tomtom Rider 2 GPS. This particular model headset will only operate the GPS and phone. You need the Teamset or SCALA RIDER Q2 for radio to radio bluetooth connectivity.

Back