free website stats program Bike to Bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike to Bike

otter1958

I have a Midland GXT900 GMRS radios and wondered if anyone else out there uses them with the push to talk feature with head sets? Do you have to get a FCC license? Do they work well? I presently use blue ant head sets which are great for me and my wife bike to bike but want something less expensive that allows us to talk bike to bike with other bikers.

I used these with my wife when we did a trip to Alaska. I had a headset in my helmet and a push to talk control on the bar while my wife used the radio as a handheld while driving the RV (biker support vehicle). They worked great on the higher power channels (not the FRS channels) though occasionally we did find ourselves also chatting with others on the same channel as we passed though towns. The battery charges lasted all day without problem.

The head sets connected to the Midland GXT900/950 Radios are no good. The transmission is garbled and very low in volume. If anyone out there is looking at these don't buy them!!!!!!!!!!

Most FRS radios can also use GMRS. FRS is limited to 2 watts and does not require a license. GMRS is limited to 5 watts and does require a license. Many radios will automatically limit the power of the FRS only channels, but on the GMRS channels you can switch the radio to high power thus requiring a license. The license is pretty easy to get and covers anyone in your family. I forget how much it costs but $50 seems to ring a bell.

Back