free website stats program Bike takes to long to start | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike takes to long to start

I have a 2007 Ultra Classic w/18,000 miles on it. Last month it started taking 4 to 5 seconds of spin before it would start. I've heard several things it could be, (i.e. fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel injector, etc.) but not sure how to check each specifically. Any tips on how to narrow this down? Here is whats on the bike;
PCIII, K & N air filter, V & H true dual head pipes, supertrapp se exhaust.

I just recently checked the code readout and had to replace the rear o2 sensor.

I have a 2007 Ultra Classic w/18,000 miles on it. Last month it started taking 4 to 5 seconds of spin before it would start. I've heard several things it could be, (i.e. fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel injector, etc.) but not sure how to check each specifically. Any tips on how to narrow this down? Here is whats on the bike;
PCIII, K & N air filter, V & H true dual head pipes, supertrapp se exhaust.

I just recently checked the code readout and had to replace the rear o2 sensor.
IF you take away the Power to the PC111, will it start right up?
Just My question?

How OLD are the Spark-plugs? and what do they look like....

signed....BUBBIE

Plugs are fairly new. I checked and regapped them @ .40 after this problem started. I didn't know the bike would start without the PCIII being connected. I will try that in a minute and see what happens.

=================================================

Well with the PCIII disconnected nothing comes on, including the fuel pump. So naturally the bike didn't start. Don't know what that was supposed to check for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well with the PCIII disconnected nothing comes on, including the fuel pump. So naturally the bike didn't start. Don't know what that was supposed to check for.

I didn't know the PC111 takes out the Whole system to Run the Bike...

I use a piggy-back TFI and when it is disconnected the bike will still start and run. I figured IF yours was disconnected and RAN normal again it might be the PC111... I was Wrong by Not Knowing.. Thanks, Now I Know..

signed....BUBBIE

I unpluged the PCIII and reconnected the stock wire to the ECM. The bike started quickly. Could the PCII be bad or need remapping?

BATTERY, check the battery.. if its low on CCA( Cold cranking amps)..your bike may show signs of this slow starting,,good luck...

One thing I have to bring up, do you have last years gas in the tank still? If so, run it out and see how bike performs/starts after there is fresh gas in the tank. My ultra took forever to start the first time this year. I put the PCIII on it almost right after that (past Tuesday). Today, it took a bit longer then normal to start, but not that awful bad compared to Tuesday before the PCIII was installed. I did put new plugs in, a big sucker and PCIII at once. After bike was warm, started up almost instantly. I am going to see what happens after I run a few tankfuls through it tomorrow before I start to worry. As much power as I gained though, I am not worried if it were to take twice as long to start it when it is cold.

Thanks for the info. Glad I could answer a question for you Bubbie. I have been riding the bike regularly, so the gas is fresh. Battery seems fine. Just that the bike used to crank on the first spin. Now it seems to take several seconds to start. Wondering if the fuel pressure is weak?

I unpluged the PCIII and reconnected the stock wire to the ECM. The bike started quickly. Could the PCII be bad or need remapping?

That is What I was after in the first place... Glad you plugged back into the ECM to see IF it was the PC111..
Now you have the problem AREA into View... Hmmmm

signed....BUBBIE

Back