free website stats program Bike sway. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike sway.

How fast are you guys going when you experience this sway effect?

As mentioned on my first post, i was sweeping into corners at 110 to 120 Kms thats approx 65 mph, noting fast or furious.
But certainly if this problem was present in a jap. bike there would be enough pressure on the company to force a recall, are HD waiting for a serious inccident before they concider a recall, or even to address the problem with an affordable cure, so the customer is not picking the bill all the time. Service with a smile will always win and increase sales.
Have HD not even published a press release on this matter??
Dave:58:

Last edited by a moderator:
HAhahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!....Press release!.....recall!.....Now that's some funny stuff there Dave. :newsmile100:
Ain't likely to happen. The MOCO has more lawyers than "ole Shep" has fleas, and they are not very likely to admit to anything. Either real, or precieved. :yeahright
And the metric bike mfg. are no different.
If they issued a recall, or refit every bike every time "someone" decided that there was a problem, they would all be out of business. :newsmile07:
My opinion, and my advice.....We are talking about a precieved handling characteristic here. If you believe it is a problem, then there are folks who make aftermarket devices to increase stability.
This is no different than buying a device for any of your other vehicles to make them handle more to your expectations. :s

Thanks for the support gs34,
But i think were talking stability at the basic entry level, not an increased stability range to enhance the bikes preformance. Ive done that with jap bikes for tracks in the past.
Yes your correct, there are aftermarket parts to fix this problem, but ive just spent 23,000 euro on a 2007 RK and dont intend to spent anymore on the basic safety of a bikes mak-up.
Have HD not fixed this problem on 2009 bikes? so it would seem they have admitted to a fault.
Could HD not supply an aftermarket product, affordable to all it trusty customers out there, at a reasonable price. They make enough on the aftermarket catalouge already.
Would that not be a nice jesture from HD:s
And ye never know, i might buy another one in the future!!!:small3d004::small3d004::small3d004::small3d036::small3d036:

Thanks ...Yes your correct, there are aftermarket parts to fix this problem, but ive just spent 23,000 euro on a 2007 RK and dont intend to spent anymore on the basic safety of a bikes mak-up.
Have HD not fixed this problem on 2009 bikes? so it would seem they have admitted to a fault.
Could HD not supply an aftermarket product, affordable to all it trusty customers out there, at a reasonable price. They make enough on the aftermarket catalouge already.
Would that not be a nice jesture from HD...

Hey Dublin Dave...agree with you, but Corporate...nice jesture...and I thought I was an optimist!!!:bigsmiley11:

Be careful, you are slipping into the comfort cocoon Corporate America is swilling..."--a newer friendlier socially responsible company." (Coke spokesman) talking about new plants' contribution and recycling efforts; all the while using India's underground water, pumped from big $ deep sump pumps, purifying it, washing their bottles & machinery in it then pouring all the effluvium back onto the land, while shipping bottles and bottles of Coke out the door. All while the local town's aquifiers are drying up 10x faster before the company arrived, while in the middle of a 5 year drought?" Yeah right! :small3d021:

Last edited:
I think the realistic opinion is that the company didn't 'fix' they sway. They changed the frame completely, so now it handles differently. If noone complains about a sway anymore, so much better! I know the sway existed. I've had a few baggers over the years. My '09 is completely different. But the MoCo will not admit to anything. They have evaded this issue, and now they plan to put it behind them through attrition.

This is what they say in their new 2009 bike catalog.
"Engine isolation for the Big Twin gets a new four-point rubber mount system that's made it possible to optimize the balance between stiffness and isolation. The level of engine shake feels better at a stoplight. Once you get moving, the improved mounts work with the new frame, swingarm, suspension, tires and wheels to make the whole package feel tight and controlled." (bolded words are just as they are in their text)

I think they are saying that the better engine mounting fixed the problem. So they should provide something like the Bagger Brace to better secure the motor and fix the less tight and less controlled situation that they had before the '09s.

good luck with that! You want the customer service number?

Yeah that would be great, or even a contact e-mail address, as ive, tried to google it, and kepp getting ads trying to sell me pre. 2009 touring harley's.
Dave..

If your going to ride it, make sure it's right..!

Maybe I'm just not worked up enough over this issue. I dont see it as a safety issue myself. I know many many riders that have put an aweful lot of miles on these baggers and had no problem at all. If that little sway is enough to freak you out and panic yourself into a crash...well...something was bound to cause that same knee jerk reaction and cause you to crash. I got used to it in no time and dont plan to try and sue anyone over it. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I think the realistic opinion is that the company didn't 'fix' they sway. They changed the frame completely, so now it handles differently. If noone complains about a sway anymore, so much better! I know the sway existed. I've had a few baggers over the years. My '09 is completely different. But the MoCo will not admit to anything. They have evaded this issue, and now they plan to put it behind them through attrition.

I totally agree with biglew55, on all points.
'S a shame, but that's what they'll do if they can get away with it. It'll take a lot of people, and maybe HOG involvement would help, to get any action on this, ESPECIALLY as the stock is so low right now.

Bone

Thaught i could, cut and paste thread as a link via e-mail, but it seems they dont like e-mails, so ill send them a lovely letter with the thread attached, but i need some help with address: what goes after, 'Milwaukee wi 53208'.... is it just 'USA' or is there some other little numbers or names ?
If i get an awnser i will scan and post on a new thread under the same heading, in the near....far...further...future:D
Dave

Back