free website stats program Bike storage | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike storage

kpstar212

Winter storage. Is it better to store bike upright or is the jiffy stand ok ?
I have heard different opinions.
Thanks,
KP

I store it on stand straight up, FULL tank with 10oz of SeaFoam in my heated HogShack.
Battery tender hooked up. I check on her daily.
wilks3
:USA

Ride it year around and you dont have to worry about winter storage, thats the beauty of living in central CA or most of CA. I think I would go crazy if I had to stare at my ride for 9 months and dream about riding.

Its not that bad around here, cold wise. Last winter we had snow and cold with no rain. There were many great days to ride but didn't.
Why? You would ask...all the salt goo was still on roads. Some days there was salt dust in the air from so much traffic. I wasn't about to take my clean FB out there and get it full of salt goo/dust. Just me.
wilks3
:USA

Last edited:
If you can get the wheels off the ground I would go that route so for extended time the tires do not flat spot or come in contact with salt in the snow belt:s

Ride all year. Only time I do not is when it hit 0F degrees and ice on the road other wise it is riding weather all the time. If bike gets dirty it just means it will need to be washed just like in the summer.

Ride all year around apart when heavy snow or bad ice. I wash the bike if it gets mucky and I use an airforce blaster to dry it off before i park it back in the garage - sitting on old carpet to keep the rubber off the concrete and connected to a battery tender.
I use ACF anticorrosion spray on all the shiny metal bits - especially the wheels and spokes and the underside of the bike and that keeps the rust away (but be careful not to get it on tyres or brakes/disc). I don't mind the bike not being shiny all the time as it's not a decorative trinket which just comes out to twinkle in the sun.
If it does end up getting rust - I'll clean it up or one day trade it in and get a new bike.
Don't get me wrong - I love it - but it's an object not a person so ultimately, cash allowing, it'll be replacable.

Back